Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best flowers for pressing?

Posted by solstice98 9b Orlando (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 8, 06 at 7:53

Hi all,
I regularly post on the Florida Gardening forum but am new to this one. I'm a novice at pressing and have learned so much by reading through earlier posts here this morning! Wow! Thanks to everyone who has posted in the past several months, I think I have a pretty good idea how to get started.

My questions are:
- Is there a special trick to pressing large flowers, like hibiscus?
- Are some flowers just not suitable for pressing, like coneflowers with the large center cone?
- For spire-type flowers with petals on all 4 sides, like Cats Whiskers for example, do you remove some of the back-side petals before pressing?
- If I want to do some very thin slices of citrus fruit, would it be better to pick it before it's ripe so it's dryer or do fruits not work at all?

Thanks!
Kate

White Coneflower and a white Cat's Whiskers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best flowers for pressing?

Hi Kate. Best for pressing are what I'd call "flat-faced, single-ply" flowers like Violets, Pansies, Geraniums, or ferns, leaves, etc. You can experiment with others as you mentioned with your Cat's Whiskers (lovely photo), but I don't think there would be any way to press Coneflower.

I've no experience with fruit except for Pomegranate which will dry on its own unsliced. Well, I've had limes dry whole but it was unintended...and they turned a dark greenish-black...not pretty!

I only grow the Hibiscus coccineus which is easily pressed but it is one of those flatfaced singleply fkowers...I think the others would do better dried in silica gel.

Check out a couple of library books...just to get a good basic understanding of the different methods of preserving flowers. Then experiment...you have access to so many lovely plants that may not be found in books(like your Cats Whiskers).

Good luck. josh

o

Fruit slices are best dried in the oven on very low heat--just watch them, you'll know when they are done to your taste.

If you want to simulate a pressed coneflower, how about pressing just the petals and using a dried orange slice as the center?

o

Can Lily-of-the-Valley be pressed successfully? I want to make a card for my sister; it's her favorite flower and I have tons of them growing in my yard. She lives in WI and I live in MA, so I can't just pick them and drive over and give them to her. Any help is appreciated and thankyou ahead of time!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here