Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cosmos6ma

Does anyone use the microwave drying devices ?

cosmos6MA
21 years ago

Do stores like Walmart carry them ? How do they compare to regular drying/pressing ? Any websites you guys know about ?

Thanks, Susan

Comments (18)

• judiz
    21 years ago

I purchased my terra cotta microwave flower press from Lee Valley. The only thing I don't like is that it's small, only about 8 inches square, if that. But other than that, it's fine. I'm not familiar with the one that Wal-mart carries, but I assume they're all similar.

• Jemy
    21 years ago

I am new to pressing flowers, ferns, etc. but searching here and there on the web, I experimented on my own by using two pieces of cardboard. I wanted to dry some larger ferns in the microwave and if you are careful in your timing, you can end up with some beautiful pressed flowers without purchasing a thing!

Two pieces of cardboard, size being your own preference; tissue paper (I have been grabbing my computer paper)and several thick rubberbands. And of course, your microwave!

I usually dry everything at 3 minutes on the defrost cycle. Some pieces might not need quite as much time.

Try it! I had considered buying a microwave flower press also but after using cardboard and rubber bands, I am not going to waste my money. This works great for the flowers I have dried in experimentation and although I have a traditional flower press, I like the colors that are retained by pressing in a microwave.

• cosmos6MA
    Original Author
    21 years ago

jemy,thanks ! I will try that.

• newfiepaws
    21 years ago

Hi Jemy,
    I've been thinking about ordering the Microfleuer microwave press, but I don't really want to spend the $$ either. I like your method!

When you press your flowers in the microwave, is it OK to use just regular rubber bands? Do they melt or burn after a certain number of minutes?

Thanks.
    Sharon

• Ichabod_Jane
    21 years ago

I just purchased the Nantic Sunwave 2-day press and I'm very pleased with the results. I must admit I've never liked hassling with the wood/cardboard-type presses, and my attempts to microwave flowers have been unsuccessful and frustrating. But if you can make your own microwave press, and you are willing to experiment and are patient (smile), then I say give it a try!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantic

• Jemy
    21 years ago

Ichabod_Jane: Interesting site! After reading about this new type of press, I admit, I might have to purchase one too.

I have had good results and bad results with microwave pressing. But, I am a beginner and I guess I am kind of experimenting also with various natural materials.

Hmnnn......this does look like something we all might want to look more into though!

Thank you for the website information.

• Jemy
    21 years ago

Newfiepaws, I used two thick rubber bands like the sort you find banded around fresh vegetables in the grocery stores. I am sure they could melt if you microwaved too long but for your flowers, etc., you won't have to worry about that. I have not tried small rubber bands though. I dry them for 3 minutes on the defrost cycle which is only 30 percent power from your microwave.
    I had read somewhere that you are supposed to microwave them for 3 minutes on high. Well, that really ended up "cooking" a lot of my ferns, etc. They really turned brown. It was just too much heat and although the rubber bands were very warm, they didn't melt even at that setting.
    Just experiment a bit. Smaller pieces, less dense foliage will not need quite so much time, maybe 2-21/2 minutes on defrost cycle. If you are worried about too much time even then, just microwave a minute or half a minute at a time. Just cumbersome to have to unband and check results.
    As I said originally, just a cheaper alternative to the microwave flower presses. Only you might have to watch your drying time more than with the commercial presses. I am interested in the Nantic Sunwave mentioned above though. It sounds like the answer to all our pressing mishaps!

• cindip
    21 years ago

I have a microfleur and I love it. I usually only leave my flowers in the microwave for 30-35 seconds. Flowers like pansies don't need to be in there that long. It depends on the wattage of your microwave. Mine is 1000 watts and it doesn't take long to press them.

Cindi

• annemarie
    21 years ago

I have the microfleur, a sunwave, a couple of home made terracotta presses, and a few other kinds of homemade microwave contraptions that I like to play around with. They all seem to have their own advantages and disadvantages and none of them will press all flowers. It's best to use a variety of methods and keep track of what works best for each different flower.

I've never had a problem with rubberbands in the microwave, but did have a bit of melting with one of the pieces of the sunwave after repeated use. I always seem to go back to the presses I make myself for the bulk of my pressing.

I get the best results when I take them out of the microwave before they're completely dry and finish them in a book or press for a day or two.

Here's where I got my microfleur... I had to email her, I don't know if she has ordering info on her site.

Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Sonshine Crafts

• Jemy
    21 years ago

Annemarie, tell us how you have made your homemade presses. I am intrigued by the homemade terra cotta press especially. Maybe more experimentation with various presses as you seem to be doing is something that would benefit all of us "flower pressers".

Someone should consider a forum here for exchanging dried and pressed flowers. Could be an interesting way for us to increase our collections. The prices really can get up there when you check Ebay or other auction sites. I am sure that many would be willing to trade as I would just to get more of a variety to their collections.

Hmnnnnn......food for thought. I am thinking out loud here!

• Josh
    21 years ago

This is so helpful! So many of us have been experimenting on our own and now to be able to compare notes is great! I've used 2 stacked Pyrex pie plates(same size), sandwiching between them the paper on each side of flowers. The weight of one pieplate seems to be enough to flatten most things I tried, but I guess you could put some other microwave-safe dish on top for extra weight. I've tried adding a mixing cup of water on top, since I've seen that recommended. Frankly, I didn't notice any difference.

I agree with Anne Marie...I too have best results when removing before absolutely dry, placing in a phonebook to finish drying. jo

• cosmos6MA
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Jane, thanks for the link. I might try that air dry one and the roller microwave one looks interesting too.

• Ichabod_Jane
    21 years ago

Cosmos, the Sunwave is both an air dry and microwave press. (I've only used it as air dry so far.) It comes with a nice instruction booklet. If you get the RollerWave, will you let us know how well it works? It does look interesting!

• Sonshinepat
    21 years ago

I tried the Roller wave and don't care for it for other than very small flowers. Large ones are curved! Also, I have found that the Sun Wave does NOT hold up well in the microwave. I have some deformed grids that melted down.
    The Lee Valley press is great, but small and gets hot to handle when used repeatedly. I like the Microfleur best and I sell it at garden shows, so I always have both sizes on hand. It is expensive, but the results are so good. I also like the Nantic SunWave press, especially for white things. If you are pressing thick flowers, a couple of layers of felt or polyfil (not in the microwave) help keep the petals flat.The cardboard press works well with layers of Viva towels for extra padding, and strap it down with velcro strips or the heavy duty rubber bands. They last for 20+ presses. As for the microwave, each oven varies and you must experiment with timing on your oven.

• bekiboutique
    20 years ago

I had some quary tile left over from a project so decided to see if that would work in the mocrowave. I cut some squares of some craft batting I guess you would call it. I think a couple of squares of felt would work. Then I added squares of fabric. Worked just fine. When my Lee Valley press gets hot I just switch to that. I did have a melt down with my Lee Valley recently. I had used it for several years without a problem but a few days ago the felt started melting and I almost had a fire. I am wondering if it was my microwave. I added some different filling and it seems be be working just fine. I thought the flowers stuck to the paper towels more than the fabric. You might try putting fabric between the flower and paper towel.

• Phyllis_Leathers
    20 years ago

Hi! I'm brand new to pressing flowers. We have lots of roses as well as a raised bed of perennials & wildflowers. I want to make cards and am just learning so much from your forum. Thank you. I especially wanted to thank "Josh" for the idea of using pyrex pie plates. I was up til 2 am "playing" with them lastnight! I had excellent results! I haven't purchased any microwave flower presses. I wonder if I should bother, or if the pyrex pie plates will be as effective? Also, I did 2 layers in the pie plates, to speed things up. I did the 3 minutes at power 3 as someone had recommended. And I used plain old computer paper (are paper towels better?) Thanks! Phyl

• Sonshinepat
    20 years ago

If you use paper towels, be sure they are Viva (no I don't have stock in the company!), but all others have embossed patterns.........which means embossed flowers!
    I just had wonderful results with pink and rose hydrangeas using the desiccant paper. It is a special paper that has silica gel embedded into it. I don't think it can be purchased anywhere but online from Kate Chu. Her website is www.pressed-flowers.com. This paper comes in 12x12' sheets and you can stack4 layers. Usually pink hydrangeas turn purple shades, but here it kept its color. There are so many different tools!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pressed Flowers

• annemarie
    20 years ago

I buy my desiccant paper online from Sorbent Industries, order the sample pack, the sheets are 12"x12" and it's less expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desiccant Paper

Sponsored