Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeezl

Question about air dried flowers.

chickadeezl
20 years ago

Hello everyone.I'm new to this forum.I am doing some air drying on various flowers this year for the first time.This is all new to me.I was wondering, after my flowers are dry, do I need to do anything else with them before using,like spraying them with some kind of sealer,etc.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• neil_allen
    20 years ago

We sometimes spray our dried flowers very lightly with unscented hair spray. It doesn't change the looks, just helps them stand up to minor shocks. We usually don't do this until they're arranged in bouquets.

We've found that some flowers can take up humidity from the air for a long time after they seem "dry." Hollyhocks and Gomphrena globosa do this, especially if you leave the foliage on the gomphrena. We store those in closed plastic boxes with a little bit of silica gel in the bottom. After several months -- or after spending the winter in our unheated barn -- the problem pretty much goes away.

• Maureen_Lea
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,I am brand new to this site and need help on drying cockscomb. I live in Iowa and I came across them yesterday at a Amish vegetable market. They are so vibrant that I don't want to lose any of the color. Also how long can I keep them in water before they lose any color? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Sincerely,
    Maureen_Lea

• neil_allen
    18 years ago

Coxcomb will keep in water for about a week. If you want to preserve them, hang them upside down. Someplace warm and dark, like an uninsulated attic, is best. Depending on the thickness of the stem, drying can take from one to two weeks.

• Posie
    18 years ago

Again, Neil is right on! Your only real enemy is humidity.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida