Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about air dried flowers.

Posted by chickadeezl z6 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 03 at 8:41

Hello everyone.I'm new to this forum.I am doing some air drying on various flowers this year for the first time.This is all new to me.I was wondering, after my flowers are dry, do I need to do anything else with them before using,like spraying them with some kind of sealer,etc.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about air dried flowers.

We sometimes spray our dried flowers very lightly with unscented hair spray. It doesn't change the looks, just helps them stand up to minor shocks. We usually don't do this until they're arranged in bouquets.

We've found that some flowers can take up humidity from the air for a long time after they seem "dry." Hollyhocks and Gomphrena globosa do this, especially if you leave the foliage on the gomphrena. We store those in closed plastic boxes with a little bit of silica gel in the bottom. After several months -- or after spending the winter in our unheated barn -- the problem pretty much goes away.

o

Hi Everyone,I am brand new to this site and need help on drying cockscomb. I live in Iowa and I came across them yesterday at a Amish vegetable market. They are so vibrant that I don't want to lose any of the color. Also how long can I keep them in water before they lose any color? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sincerely,
Maureen_Lea

o

Coxcomb will keep in water for about a week. If you want to preserve them, hang them upside down. Someplace warm and dark, like an uninsulated attic, is best. Depending on the thickness of the stem, drying can take from one to two weeks.

o

Again, Neil is right on! Your only real enemy is humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here