Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klhollihan

drying a fungus

klhollihan
19 years ago

Hi all. I have a giant....... what I think is a fungus...fan shaped pieces in a rose-like shape that is a foot or more across. I'd like to dry it. It's outside under a tree now. Any suggestions?

Comments (2)

• Josh
    19 years ago

I have a British book which pictures 3, Trametes, Polystictus, and Daedalea. You might want to Google all 3 names to see which you have, although the author's instructions appear the same.

They might harbor insects so she suggests using half water and half methylated spirits (would this be our rubbing alcohol or peroxide?) and soaking fungus or just brushing with paint brush. Mentions that she sometimes doesn't take this action as might lessen the effect of velvety surface. Your call...my method would be to seal up in plastic bag for a day or two ...maybe with opened container of alcohol... to see who climbed out to investigate. lol I've had only small ones and just sealed up in silica gel...figured it dried out insects too.

Fungi will dry naturally on absorbent paper in dry place. Can be put in oven at 200 F but cautions that may shrink and curl a bit. Once hard and dry, by either method, they will keep indefinitely.

Polyporus is best dried in Borax for up to 3 weeks as it holds more moisture and otherwise may mold before completely hard-dried.

I must give full credit to the very helpful author, Maureen Foster, for the book on which above info is based: "The Flower Arranger's Encyclopedia of Preserving and Drying". It was printed in 1988 so may be out of print but worth searching out...one of my favorites.

Let us kow how it comes out..josh

• Posie
    19 years ago

I think she is using the liquid to deter worms from eating into the fungus. When I dry them I just leave them to themselves in an open box or container. Most will dry without any problem and unless they are very, very old they shouldn't have any insect problmes. Sometimes I find nice smaller skinny ones that I can use in a flower arrangement. For these I insert a wire somewhere near the bottom so I can use it in an arrangement or wreath. After they are dry it is impossible to insert a wire. Remember to wash your hands after handling when they are fresh. Have fun!

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022