Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyjohn_z5

Drying Echinacea cones

cheyjohn_z5
18 years ago

My echinacea has been attacked by beetles. But I love the orangey tops that are left. I tried to dry some but they didn't retain their orange color. Is there anything I can do when I dry more?

Chey

Comments (5)

• Josh
    18 years ago

Chey, I'm drying the green cones of Echinacea "White Swan' by just laying them out flat on a rack in a dim corner. I cut all my flowers to enjoy inside (too hot here for anything but dawn watering patrol). After enjoying them in fresh arrangement, I'd hoped to preserve the green cone...the heads on some drooped a bit, thus the reason for the rack. So far (about 2 weeks), the color is holding.

I only had one Echinacea White Swan in a pot with 6 blooms, so no more to experiment with this year, as I don't see more buds forming. I do think they probably might hold color better if picked when first opened (as I did beause I liked the quilled petals sticking up around cone).

Next year I might try drying in silica gel, along with Verbena bonariensis which I love but it quickly turns dark even in a fresh arrangement. At least the Echinacea lasted in water about 7-8 days before the petals drooped.

Will post back in another week or two...whether green color holds or not. josh

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Josh. I think my mistake may have been leaving them out in the sun (duh!). And it didn't occur to me right away. My plant is a few years old so I have more I can experiment with. I'll have to wait a bit as it rained here today (yay! finally!). I'll let you know also how mine do when I hang inside.

Chey

• Josh
    18 years ago

Chey, I must sadly report that my lovely green cones from Echinacea 'White Swan' have shriveled to 1/2 size and turned almost black. Only one retained a little color and it was very tiny (probably the very first flower I picked impatiently when first opened).

Ah, well, I've had much enjoyment from my 6 flowers...josh (easily amused)

• cheyjohn_z5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't have good news either. There is a bit of orange left in my cones, but not much. They haven't really shrank much, but I fear I will continue to lose the orange color as the days go by. Thanks for your report. Not sure if there is anything we can do really. Hmmm, though you did mention silica gel and that may be our only option. I have tried the borax/cornmeal mixture but it was near impossible to get the dust off the flowers.

Chey

• Josh
    18 years ago

Chey, I really need to use the silica gel more...I'm afraid I usually go for the easy 'just let it dry naturally option' out of (natural) laziness. ~grin~

I've never used the borax/cornmeal, but have read that a hairdryer on 'cool air' setting helps or a dry paintbrush if the flowers aren't too fragile. Even with silica gel you have to gently tap or blow to remove all traces.

Well, I'm going to dig out my box of silica gel and bottle of glycerin and use the better methods for awhile...may even try microwave more often. I don't have enough flowers of any kind to waste with my lazy ways ~grin~.

josh

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?