Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ichabod_jane

Should we introduce ourselves?

Ichabod_Jane
21 years ago

Hi, I'm Jane from the prairie plains of Kansas. Actually, I live in town and must drive a while to see the prairie, but I always try to stop in and see Auntie Em and Dorothy along the way :-)

As for drying flowers, I'm a complete rookie. I have some experience with pressing flowers--mostly roses--but I'd like to learn a lot more. OK...now it's your turn!

Comments (11)

• cindip
    21 years ago

I am Cindi and I live in the piedmont region of NC. It is beautiful here (when we have rain- we are in a drought)
    Growing flowers is my passion.
    I have only been pressing flowers since December, but have learned a lot, but I still have lots to learn. I am not pressing as many flowers as I had hoped to press this summer, have been too busy working in the yard. There are so many talented press flower artists out there. I hope that one day I can be half as good as they are.

Cindi

• Josh
    21 years ago

Hi, I'm Jo...and a bit of a fanatic for plants. For years I've collected pods, cones, berries, seeds, flowers and foliage...any little bit of nature. (Stones and feathers and seashells, too). I display them in baskets which I also collect because they too are made with natural material, or in handthrown clay weedpots or vases.

I do a little with flat-pressed material in decoupage
    but I prefer a three-dimensional dried arrangement where the material retains its natural shape (for instance in a deep shadowbox).

The fun part is that some of your finds may be in a parking lot (a strange moss or tiny grass seedhead) or on a weedy roadside...the more you look the more you'll notice. Even a neglected vegetable patch...okra pods dry in the fall on the stalk, and leeks have a lovely allium-like blossom.

I'm so glad to find others interested...jo

• gardninlady
    21 years ago

Hi Gang!!
    I am Carolyn from Charleston...8 miles from the Edge of America. I grew up in Oklahoma and came from farming and gardening ancestry. I never understood why all the pictures of my Grandma's were always standing with their gardens. I remember my little 90 pound Grandma who was nearly blind standing in front of a bed of zinnias looking like she was in a glamour show. And my other Grandma stood in front of her roses like the winner of a lottery! NOW I get it!! What an awesome heritage. They loved to garden and it was perfectly natural to stand in front of their pride & joy.
    (Bonks self on head)

Me?? I never fully appreciated the joys of gardening until about 8 years ago. Was a Submarine Navy wife and never lived anywhere long enough to plant much. Then when we moved to "The Shoe" (my home...you see I am a single parent of 8) I found my bliss. I love my kids and I love teaching them all about nature. What an awesome life I live... Crazy but so what? I have 2 sons at The United States Merchant Marine Academy at King's Point, NY.
    2 down 6 to go. WAHOO!!

I love to find junk and make art, press flowers, paint on tiles, mailboxes, cook and entertain...anything to keep from housecleaning! BTW...I am the lucky winner of this months GardenWeb Mystery Plant Contest!! Now how cool izzat?! Check out my pix...
    Gardninlady

PS When I grow up, I want to be retired!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photo Albums ~~~you will

• judiz
    21 years ago

I'm Judi from Rhode Island, and I'm an avid gardener and not-so-avid flower crafter. I tend to go in spurts, but I do keep a supply of dried flower materials on hand for when I get the urge.

• gardninlady
    21 years ago

Pat...your website is AWESOME...
    All of your work is lovely. I hope you are prospering... your work reflects a unique quality.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    gardninlady

• shirley1md
    21 years ago

Pat, I just visited your website too! What an incredible talent for presenting & displaying natures gifts~flowers, herbs, foliage, berries & twigs! Your work is creative, colorful, full of wisdom, and inspirational too. I wish you continued success and the happiest years from drying & pressing nature's bounty.

• livvyandbella
    21 years ago

Hi,
    I am Barb in Massachusetts. Pat does have a wonderful site, and she has been such a help in helping me to begin.
    I am a beginner to pressed flower. I am anxious to make things, and so inspired by looking at what everyone else has done. I have so much to learn.

• Pudge 2b
    21 years ago

Hi, I'm Sharon from the prairie plains of Saskatchewan. I live in a small village and a stones throw away from Mother Nature in all her natural glory. I've never pressed a flower, although I grow a ton of them. I do dry a great deal, though, for making dried arrangements. I particularly like working with grasses and grains but am branching out a little more into dried flowers. I also make bent willow furniture, wall hangings, and baskets - my basement craft room keeps me busy during the (many) cold winter months.

• RustyButton
    21 years ago

Hey Girls, I'm Loretta from PA. My downstairs "craft emporium" is full of pressed, dried, glycerized, etc stuff in every nook & cranny i can possibly find. I'm still trying to figure out what excatly to do with all of it and how to market it properly. I love to "put things together" but not sure where or how to make money doing it. I give my crafts as gifts, and everyone tells me to SELL THEM!!! So now i'm working on ways to sell my creations. Hope all of you enjoy this as much as i do. lff

• margie_PNWest
    21 years ago

Hi, Im Margie originally from So. California. I now live in the Pacific Northwest and love it, even the rain. I started drying hydrangea, all colors, now they are running me out of
    the house, I do get carried away when I start a new hobbie.
    I now look at all flowers, weeds and anything that grows with new eyes. I found The Garden Web this spring and check in about twice a week, I have helped and been helped, and didn't relize all the great gardeners out there. Thank you out there, lets keep it up.

• Violetrose
    21 years ago

This is a nice idea. I'm Carol from Los Angeles. Thank you Carolyn and Pat for sharing your websites. I enjoyed looking at both of them. I started pressing as a child when I found a four leaf clover. Although I have pressed many flowers and leafs since then, I am a novice when it comes to crafts. I received a very fancy flower press for Christmas, so it's time to start learning what do to with all my pressed flowers. In the past I have mostly used pressed flowers with very informal crafts with children. I am interested in learning more refined ways of using the flowers.