Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
newbie - how to tell when Microwave pressed flowers are done?

Posted by WendyB 5A/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 03 at 12:51

I'm trying out a new Microwave flower press (Lee Valley) for the first time and I love it!

Sometimes, I'm having a hard time figuring out when the flower is done. Especially flowers with prominent centers. I think the center is not done, but the petals are. Do I cook it some more? I noticed this especially with impatiens and a rose, but not limerock ruby.

Even pressing simple fern foliage (jap painted fern), I couldn't tell what was done. I tried two 30-second spurts. seemed good. Did another 30 seconds. still seemed good. Not sure what the difference was. do I have to go too far and sacrifice the plant to learn the hard way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: newbie - how to tell when Microwave pressed flowers are done?

Whenever I pressed flowers in the microwave I used the defrost mode for 30 seconds at a time. I don't think you have to worry if you are in defrost. By the way, I did lots of hard to press flowers for a Japanese friendship thing, even roses. I had the flowers in a press, and just put them in the microwave every day. Ferns and the like are easy. When you have to do more time is with flowers that have a lot of oils, like roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here