Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamelaz_gw

Need ideas for dried hydrangea

PamelaZ
19 years ago

Okay, I've dried my peegee, Annabelle and Nikko Blue what next? Other than dried arrangements does anyone have any crafty ideas?

Comments (7)

• sylky00
    19 years ago

I'm not sure if these are what you had in mind or not, but here's a few ideas. You could make candle rings to encircle pillars, or maybe topiaries-you can buy the forms ready to go into a pot- just attach the dried blossoms after covering the sphere with moss. I have a very large glass jar that I like to fill with the dried hydrangeas, along with other botanicals. They can just be mounded in a basket or other container without foam, also.

• merrygardens
    19 years ago

I had a grapevine wreath that I stuck hydrangea blooms in for a gorgeous effect.

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    19 years ago

Take 10 of the largest Peegee Hydrangea Paniculata heads and wire them close together to a wire wreath form. Do this when the heads are just beginning to blush maroon in color, sometime in September. The effect is stunning and very professional looking. Great as a gift, too. It lasts for about a year, depending where you put it, exposure to the elements.

• bigred
    19 years ago

I'm doing a garden themed christmas tree this year,using my dried hydrangeas dried flowers/fruits,seed heads,grass plumes,pinecones. I get grapevine from the woods and cut ivy from the yard and give them a light spray of gold paint for a touch of glitz. I'm going to ask a neighbor for some leaves off her magnolia tree to glitz up too for the tree and fireplace mantel dressing.Different clippings from evergreens be it pine,juniper,boxwood,hollies or others work beautifully for mantel and garlands. Best of all it's FREE!!No hooks needed either. I just stick the items into the branches of the tree.I use an old quilt for tree skirt and a section of that cheapy wire flowerbed border from Wally World around the the skirt to keep my dogs out of the tree and presents.

I did xmas decor one year for a commercial client almost totaly in found items from my yard and woods. It was one that I got the most complements on.

PP

• mbvg1
    19 years ago

This website will give you lots of ideas. Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangea flower

• GrassIsEvil
    19 years ago

If anyone has mentioned any of these, I apologize.

Fasten the flower by the stem to the center spike of a chandelier--so there is a ball of florets instead of the tippet. Keep the flower away from the lightbulbs.

Suspend the ball of flowers from the chandelier as you would a mistletoe ball.

If you have a chain for a ceiling fan, attach the flower to the end of it.

Fasten to a windchime; the light weight but larger surface of the flower will make it much more responsive to breezes.

Fasten them to the tiebacks of your drapes.

If you have sconces for outdoor lights, attach the flowers to them.

Make a ball--whatever size you want--tuck the stems inside and suspend the resultant ball of flowers from the ceiling. You might hang it on the patio or other open space as well as indoors.

If you're tired of the usual arrangements, try some of the following:

Put one or more inside a trifle bowl. You may or may not want to add foliage, strong greens to contrast; grays, pale blues, pale pinks, to provide a softer look.

Arrange lots in a big basket and set into the empty fireplace.

Put one on a floating disc and float it in a bowl. The dampness will spoil the flower after a while, so you'll need to keep an eye on it.

Put them in multi-colored plastic drink glasses and use as a centerpiece for your garden party.

If you have a tiered cake or candy stand, arrange the flowers in a series of cascading layers.

Put them underneath a glass cake cover and use it as a centerpiece.

Ray

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer