Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressed flowers going brown

Posted by Emma_B UK (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 05 at 13:43

Hello, I having been pressing flowers and leaves etc for a number of years. However last years cuttings when I went to retrieve them had on the whole all gone brown. Now as far as I can tell I didn't do anything different last year to what I would normally do. Please note that they had actually gone brown in the press as opposed to going brown in storage. Any advice so that I don't repeat what I obviously did wrong this time. Thanks for reading, Emma.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressed flowers going brown

I don't do a lot of pressed flowers, but I have had some of my dried flowers turn brown when the humidity was too high. I also had some blooms stored in metal tins go brown;I use plastic ones now, & it hasn't happened since. Maybe some silica gel in your storage containers would help.

o
RE: Pressed flowers going brown - using silica gel?

Thank you very much for your advice.The strange thing is I have done this exactly the same as I always would have done and got a different result. I think I will try your suggestion with regards silica gel but actually put grains/dust in along with the flowers I'm pressing. Has anyone else tried that previously? If so what were the results?
Cheers Emma

o
RE: Pressed flowers going brown

• Posted by Josh z8a AL (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 2:20

Emma, what are the 'grains/dust' you used with your flowers? I was interested in hearing if you had figured out what caused your flowers to turn brown. The only time I've experienced this is when I've tried pressing something like Azaleas which hold so much moisture. I usually dry/press mostly foliage or tiny weed flowers so everything goes in phonebooks and I don't bother changing papers...I just make sure there are several pages between each addition.

Just a hobby for me, though I'd still be devastated to find brown instead of nice colors when I at last peeked...usually weeks later. Do you suppose the grains/dust (?) somehow attracted moisture? I know with silica gel you must seal airtight the box after you add flowers.

The only other thought I had was that I reuse my phonebooks unless I notice a musty smell and discoloration on pages. Were you perhaps reusing blotter paper which might have had mildew spores (maybe not even visible to naked eye?).

Just some thoughts...I hope you'll post if and when you figure it out...thanks. josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here