Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanna13_gw

has anyone heard of a flower spray that makes them LIKE glass?

jeanna13
21 years ago

or is my husband dreaming??

jeanna

Comments (20)

• wjokos
    21 years ago

Dear Jeanna,
    I've seen a product that you paint on to make flowers look like ceramic. I've never used it and I can't remember the name. I think it was near the decopauge supplies.
    One that you spray on to make them look like glass sounds pretty cool. Do they come out translucent? Ask your husband for me, please.
    Anyway, good luck. Let me know what you find out.

• jeanna13
    Original Author
    21 years ago

he does'nt know anything else :( but i found some stuff to dip dried flowers in, and when it dries, it hardens. it's also clear. i got it at a craft store, wish i knew the name for you. i will keep checking around, and let you know k?

• wjokos
    21 years ago

Thanks! Good luck.

• jeanna13
    Original Author
    21 years ago

what is the ceramic stuff?

• jeanna13
    Original Author
    21 years ago

well, actually an ex girlfriend told him about this stuff. i keep asking him to call her and ask, but he won't. i trust him. how do you dry flowers?

• wjokos
    21 years ago

Hi Jeanna,
    I like pressing flowers the best. When I want to dry them, I use silica gel crystals or hang them upside down to air dry. Silica gel crystals are available at most of the larger hobby shops. Complete directions are on the container. I hope this is of help.

• melissa325
    21 years ago

HI

There's a product called Petal Porcelain...I am pretty sure ite from Plaid...... you may want to look it up at plaidonline.com I think all you have to do is dip the flower in the "goop" and then it makes it like china.

Good Luck!

• wjokos
    21 years ago

Dear Jeanna,
    The Petal Porcelain that Melissa mentioned is the product that I was refering to. I am so glad that she came up with the name. I hope it works out for you.

• Kay_H
    21 years ago

On the Plaid website it says that this product is for silk flowers. Has anybody used it for dried flowers?

Kay.

• minilibby
    21 years ago

I have sprayed some dried flowers with a high gloss varnish
    which made them shine but I didn't really care for the non
    natural look. I have also dried peonies and then dipped them
    in wax for two reasons..to preserve longer and stronger and
    also because bugs live on deep inside and will eat away or
    reproduce and you have moths flying all over.

• SusieQ2
    21 years ago

Dear Jeanna,
    Petal porcelain is for silk flowers and items made of fabric. I've used it quite a bit when putting flowers on the side of gift baskets. Silk flowers dipped into it do not come out shiney...you have to paint them and then apply an acrylic glaze. You may want to look into a product called Crystal Sheen. This is a fast drying polymer that dries in a high gloss glass like finish. Creative Wholesale carries it. Their ph. # is(707)443-9323. There might be places close to you that would carry this.

• littleonefb
    20 years ago

I'm interested in the wax dipping to preserve flowers. How do you do it. Can I use fresh flowers or do they have to be dried first. My daughter just received a beautiful orchid lei as a gift for waitressing for a rehearsal dinner tonight and she would like it preserved, it's so beautiful.
    I didn't want to press it, but keep the shape of the flowers
    and maintain the lei for her. does anyone have any advise before the flowers start to turn brown? Right now I sprinkled the lei with water and but it in a ziploc bag in the frig. Hope someone can help

• shatterproofer
    20 years ago

The reason for my user name, is an amazing product I found that allows my wife and myself to dry most flowers easily reatining their color and shape-but the orchids and lilies do not dry well even with this product-sorry I wish I had an answer for you

• annemarie
    20 years ago

Are you talking about "ShatterProof" made by EnviroShield? I've found it makes the flowers a little too shiny for my liking, maybe I'm doing something wrong with it?

Have you tried "Clear Crowning Glory" made by John Henry? I like it but couldn't tell you if it works any better on Lilies and Orchids.

• Phil901
    20 years ago

How can I preserve crabapples or berries for use on grapevine wreaths.

• Molly Mathis
    8 years ago

Does anyone know if the flowers have to be completely encapsulated in silica in order for the moisture to disapate? And do you have to microwave? I'm not in a hurry but want to retain as much color as possible to my grandmother's flower crescent . thanks. What is like to do is put a bowl of moisture reaping compound in a plastic bag with the flowers and see if it will still pull the moisture from the flowers but let them keep their shape. Has anyone tried this?

• minilibby
    8 years ago

Yes Molly I have done this many times but more with peonies that I preserve and the odd time with a corsage.

Be sure the flowers are completely free of moisture (no styrofoam either on the back). Find a container that is the same size as the crescent and start slowly pouring silica sand first all around the outside of the crescent and as close to the flowers as you can get. Then slowly pour the silica sand around each flower and build it up to completely cover the crescent. If you pour it too fast it will crush the flowers. Cover the container with a lid and leave it alone for a week to ten days.

When dry, slowly pour off the silica sand and you should have a crescent with the same colour and shape of the original. Some people have used kitty litter as the drying agent but I have not done this. Silica sand can get pricey to do a large piece.

Good luck!

• poppy_laroc
    7 years ago

Someone else on another thread has mentioned that there is a floral spray that does amazing things like preserve the flower right off the stem! However I think these people are mistaken. I haven't found such an item. Looks like you need to preserve with the silica gel use the directions to 'seal' the flowers. After that it's all good!

I also tried finding Shatterproof by EnvioShield, didn't seem to exist, then I tried Clear Crowning Glory by John Henry, it's a floral tool to help flowers last longer. Not necessarily preserve them.

I am looking for a product as well that will help a flower maintain it's color as it dries. I will be using silica gel, I have tried this and it didn't work. The flower turned brown. So I may try glycerin next but any ideas would be great.

for those looking for silica alt. there seems to be a mixture of Borax and corn meal? Kitty litter too. There is a ratio of the cornmeal and Borax, can't remember it off the top of my head. Kitty litter only some of it works. I have also heard that sand ( with some salt and borax may work. I wish you all luck!

• pbear47620
    7 years ago

I'm trying to encase fresh roses in resin but every time I put the resin in it burns the flowers and the turn brown I'm trying to make paper weighted help please anyone.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?