Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can okra pods be used for?

Posted by melani_mo z6b Mo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 02 at 16:56

For the farmers market this year, I am growing burgundy okra in addition to the green. The pods are beautiful and range in color from red to purple to burgundy. When I let some grow longer than edible size they get even deeper in color with a nice texture.
Any ideas on how these might be used in crafts or decorations? I'm pretty good at following directions, but not much on imagination :)
Thanks,
MeLani

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can okra pods be used for?

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 23, 02 at 2:28

MeLani, I've read that they can just be left on the plant in your garden until fall...then just cut the entire stem and bring in before frost. Then hang upside down to finish drying. I think they would look great hanging on the thick stem arranged alone in a big pot or with other dried material...perhaps grasses. I've wondered if the burgundy color would remain after drying. Even in shades of brown, though, I think the pods would be a nice addition to a wreath or swag of other dried material. Would you repost here and let us know about your results and if burgundy color remains? Thanks, jo

o

I saw some made into angels. The pod is the body, I can't remember what they used for the head. I believe they used some type of crepepaper or rafia for the wings.

o

I saw them painted into Santa tree ornaments and also, elves or gnomes. Did you do a google search>?
Whatever you decide to do, please come back and post your pictures here.
gardninlady

o

I have used dried okra pods along with corn shucks and dried magnolia pods for a fall/winter wreath along with other dried naturals... makes a lovely Thanksgiving wreath. A hot glue gun will come in handy to attach the pods to a straw wreath or a wreath made from twigs, from vines, like grapevines, honeysuckle vines, and ivy vines.. I like to spray a clear finish over the entire wreath to preserve the textures and to avoid insects from entering the dried pods..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here