Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different mattings. Any suggestions?

Posted by Yellowhair z7-KY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 03 at 17:15

Hi,
I've been drying some flowers, also some pretty weeds (gotta find the names). I've collected some frames which I intend on painting black and I've got some white cardstock that I want to use as matting on some. I want to do groupings of 3 to 12. Kinda looking for a contemporary look.

What else is there to use besides paper, or cardboard, matting? Is cloth too flimsy?

PS I saw on TV where someone had taken interesting weeds with the stems, dried them, glued them to some type of paper, but they had also named them and had the label down at the bottom of the plant. Really interesting. I had done some smaller ones, but didn't include the label. Theirs was a larger frame, say 12 x 15", and they had 4-5 dried plants -----very nice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different mattings. Any suggestions?

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 03 at 6:14

You can use cloth easily...just glue it around your cardboard backing. I've used silk, or burlap, depending on the plants used and whether the effect I want is "formal" or "fun". You can get some marvelous effects playing around with fabric.
Another idea is to use wallpaper samples...some have a suede like finish, others a satiny look, in colors from ivory to deep brown (good for pale dried grass seedheads,for instance).

I've even used nylon pantyhose material in small frames...lovely taupe shades to compliment the colors of lighter colored flowers, or pale for deeper colored flowers. (I'm constantly looking for re-use...lace from old lingerie makes nice borders...smile).

Just play around and have fun. jo

o
RE: Different mattings. Any suggestions?

Great ideas! I plan on trying some of these. Would have never thought of the pantyhose.

Just saw some framings on Kitty Barthalomeow and they were saying that the botanicals were used for medicinal purposes until some keen decorators saw how nice they looked and began using them. So that's how it all got started. Very exciting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here