Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa

Posted by holly-kay none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 20:09

I am a total newbie to the garden forum but post quite a bit on the home forums.

I have several beautiful hydrangea bushes and would like to properly dry them so I can enjoy them inside this winter. Please help me with sharing your methods. TIA.

Holly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa

Hi, Holly,

I am in zone 5 and have Annabelle hydrangeas, which bloom creamy white, and then go lime green and finally brown. In the lime-green-almost-brown stage, I cut and place them in a vase with water. In a week or so, the water has evaporated, and the flowers are sufficiently dried to use.

I learned this method when I visited a local home decor store that had beautiful dried flower arrangements, and spotted the owner cutting some of her hydrangeas in the store's parking lot! I asked her how she dried them, and she reluctantly shared the method above with me. ;-)

I think it depends upon the type of hydrangea, the growing season, and at what point you want them dried to display. If you have the space and patience, I would experiment with cutting at various times to see what works best.

Good luck!

o
RE: Drying hydrangeas, clueless in pa

Thank you so much! My hydrangeas are blue then turn green and then brown. I love them at each and every stage. We are going to plant three more hydrangeas in the spring so even more sources!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here