Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dried allium

Posted by idabean (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 03 at 22:54

I have a half dozen beautiful allium christophii flower heads. I am air drying them bundled, upside down because the soft stems cannot support the big flower head. However, I;m sure the stems will never support those big flowers.

Is florist wire what I want to insert into the stems? What guage or size? Any other suggestions?

Also, what are your most successful decorative uses of these unusal plants. The heads are so interesting I could see cutting off the stems and using them somehow.
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dried allium

• Posted by Josh z8 GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 12, 03 at 5:54

Ida, I've used bamboo skewers, usually available about 15" long, to support stems. You can glue two together to make them longer..just extend one below the other about halfway...does this make sense?

Also, if I were you I'd disentangle the bunch and hang each separately. When dried they are fairly fragile and it will be hard to separate without damage.

As to other uses, they make beautiful xmas tree decorations...just cut off head and tuck into branches. I've seen them sprayed white, gold or silver for this use. I just used them natural along with bits of things made from artemesia, other seedheads, small baskets, straw ornaments, etc.

The heads also look great just piled in wooden platter ...maybe atop some potpourri. jo

o
RE: dried allium

Hello

I have been trying to find dried allium head for an art project where I wrap them in wire but with no success, would you possibly be interested in selling some of your heads?

Regards
Leanne.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here