Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Pressed seaweed ???? Here's some info...... :)

flowersandthings
19 years ago

I've heard of pressing flowers but recently discovered things like pressing seaweed..... I have to collect up a few before it gets cold and press some..... Has anyone done it???? I thought it was very pretty and made for some interesting specimens..... :)

This site could give you a vague idea of what they look like dried..... very translucent and watery and interesting!!!! Click on the number plates to the right to enlarger images.....

http://www.huh.harvard.edu/libraries/Robinson_exhibit/AllPlates.html

Some instructions below

Here is a link that might be useful: info

Comments (5)

• Josh
    19 years ago

I have a book, The Pressed Plant by Andrea DiNoto and David Winter which included 8 pages of instructions on collecting seaweeds originally from a book published in 1891. There was a craze on both sides of the Atlantic for botanizing, The examples they show were indeed beautiful.

Check your library ..I think you'd really enjoy the book. If need be, they can probably get it for you thru interlibrary loan.

One tip that is given is that you can spread out all but the most delicate of your specimens on the sand to dry, then even weeks later place them in seawater or salted water to become flexible again. They mention that in the case of the most delicate, just place them in a handful of dry sand to dry. Sand may actually adhere but will help keep the small strands separate and untangled. When soaked later in salt water, the sand will wash off easily when you have adequate time for completing the arrangement of specimens for drying.

Let us know of you experiments and results. josh

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I was wondering if you could "revive" dried specimens so many of the interesting specimens you see have washed up on the beach ....at low tide..... and have dried a little seems like they could use a little plumping up in water.... good to know you can " fix " them in some water.....

• alganet
    18 years ago

Yes, you can revive mot of them. I keep mine deshydrated, and then put them in water to revive them. Check some pictures in my site www.alga-net.com ( 3 lenguages). they can make a very original and decorative wall display.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alganet, Marine creations

• Josh
    18 years ago

Alganet, Your link didn't work, so I took the liberty of correcting your link below.

Your work is very impressive ... I love the beautiful colors and varied forms. Gardenweb constantly surprises me...never dreamed there were others interested in drying seaweed...smile. I've not had the opportunity to try it but enjoyed reading about it and now seeing your work I'm glad to see an old craft continued. Thanks for showing us your work. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Alganet's Homepage

• Luvherbz
    18 years ago

Just noticed this post... some time ago Martha Stewart Living Magazine had a whole spread on seaweed pressing, etc. I don't recall the issue but if you go to her (www.marthastewart.com) website perhaps it's there under her search.. A local artist in my area has gotten into pressing the seaweed found along our beautiful coastline here in the Southcoast of MA.... it's beautiful... she's even made calendars, note cards, and on and on.... nice craft and for her it's becoming profitable at craft shows!

Luvherbz

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths