Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherribnc

How to dry cat tails( for using in flower arrangements)

SHERRIBNC
21 years ago

I would like to know when is the best time to harvest cat tails. Is there a correct way to cut them and how do you dry them or preserve them to use in flower arrangements.

I also have fox tails too. Do you have any info. on these?

Comments (8)

• Marianne57
    21 years ago

I had an armfull of cat tails blow up in my house while I was on holidays. I almost sold my house versus trying to clean up all the fluff. I would suggest dipping the head in some type of wood sealer, like verathane, just to be safe.

• chancygardener
    21 years ago

Just spray heavily with the cheapest hairspray. (I used AquaNet, which also removes ink stains from clothing) I've done this 2 different times and they didn't blow up in the house.

• Sonshinepat
    21 years ago

I would dip them in a matte varnish. They sure are a mess when they "explode".

• hotdancerchik09_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

I am doing a biology project that involves picking and pressing wildflowers. I was reading this posting and I never knew that cat tails could explode. I was planning on cutting my cat tail that I picked, in half long ways and pressing it that way. But, I am not sure, now, if that would make the cat tail explode.

• Josh
    17 years ago

Jenn, The cattail seedhead won't "explode" like a firecracker, shattering completely. Just the outer portion as it dries will open up and release hundreds of seeds...check the photos on site attached.

If you picked your cattail some time ago and it is fairly dry, it probably won't open further. Usually you'll notice just a few seeds before it opens entirely, then it's time to get it out of your house or get out your vacuum cleaner...the seeds are lightweight to be carried by the wind/water to new locations to start new plants...a totally benign operation unless it's in your home...LOL josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattail Seedhead

• oldherb
    17 years ago

When we lived in Idaho we would pick them just as soon as the heads were nice and brown...July or early August as I remember...then dry them and spray paint them with clear spraypaint...never had a seedy one in the bunch.

• juliebaughman57
    7 years ago

I have my clippers and my hairspray . I'm going to go cut some . I hang them up side down for 2-3 days. I spray 3-4 times using hairspray (letting them dry between coats).When they're dry I glue googley eyes on them at different heights to give them different personalities I do the same with Birds of Paradise from Michael's or ?.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!