Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lady's thumb

Posted by noinwi z3 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 11:10

Hs anyone dried lady's thumb? It looks like it would be a good filler if it will keep it's buds. I gathered some and removed the foliage and will hang it upside down. I haven't done much drying aside from a few herbs. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lady's thumb

Do you know the botanical name of this plant? I'm not sure what 'lady's thumb' is. If not, maybe you could post a picture.

o

It's Polygonum persicaria. A very similar flower, P. pensylvanicum, Pennsylvania smartweed, is a fairly widespread weed. We've got a lot of it and I was thinking of trying some last weekend. I suspect that, like many plants with weedy habits, it will try to go to seed as soon as it's picked, but there's no harm in trying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady's thumb

o

Yes, it is a weed, but kind of pretty. I tried spraying them with hairspray(when I hung them) but they fell apart anyway. Maybe I'll try a different method next year, glycerin perhaps.

o

Thank you, Neil, for the link. I've dried this before, and it does shed, but still retains a lot of the little beads. The color doesn't hold too well, and I like to use dyes or sprays as little as possible, but if that's not an issue for you, try again-maybe they were just too far along when you picked them. The Silbers' book says to pick the Polygonum types when the spike is fully developed, but not mature. I've dried the smartweed, too, & it kept its color better. There's a white weed in the same family that dries really well, also. Hope this helps.

o

I think the ones I picked were too far gone. After reading your info, I know I will definitely try again next year. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here