Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swampthing_grower

Dried tropical pitcher plants

swampthing_grower
16 years ago

Hello,

I'm new here and have grown this type of pitcher plant, Nepenthes, for many years. I was hoping for some feedback as to if this dried arrangment is just too odd, or has some type of potential that could be worked out.

{{gwi:658688}}

Don't hesitate to give negative feedback. I would like any input about the impressions people have when seeing these odd plants.

None of the pitchers came from wild collected plants!

In fact the large pitcher is from a hybrid plant created in the late 1800's.

This arrangement is 20" in height, but there are many different sized plants that can be used.

Thank you,

Steve

Comments (7)

• BetsyBr
    16 years ago

I saw this plant on sale a couple years back but when I dicided I wanted it it was gone. I have regretted it since.
    I am a miniature nut and this really appeals to me. It's lovely.

• swampthing_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Betsybr,
    I'm glad you like it.
    These plsnts are sometimes available at the big chain hardware stores for good prices, but you have to get them when they are freshly shipped. The stores are rough on them.
    There is a group called the ICPS (International Carnivorous Plant Society) that can connect you to sources online.
    For photographs of all of the different types growing, the website www.humbolt.edu will keep you busy forever.
    The tropical pitcher plants are called Nepenthes.

• Josh
    16 years ago

Steve, Absolutely stunning. The colors are so vibrant..do they hold the color over time? I'd think any nature lover would find this fascinating...it's still qute rare to see these unusual plants in anyone's garden. I have grown a couple of the easier Sarracenia (unlabeled from a friend) in a small bog container, and enjoyed them. Never thought of trying to dry them.

Did you use silica gel? I'm thinkig that you must have used a tall container to stand the plants upright in order to fill them with the silica gel? However you accompished it, you did a great job. josh

• Josh
    16 years ago

Steve, I went to www.Humboldt.edu but how do I get to the images of these plants? Thanks, josh

• swampthing_grower
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Josh,

I simply put the pitchers in my freezer until they were dry. It takes a month or more, depending on the size and thickness of the pitchers being dried. Some types of pitchers hold their color and some don't. Sarracenia will hold their color for a couple of months after drying, and then turn brown. The large pitcher with the bright burgundy color is spray painted.
    The Humbolt site is a bit slow to navagate. You have to click on each link to get an image. There are many links and it takes quite a while to just download the lists of each genera you want to look at.

Steve

• Josh
    16 years ago

Thanks, Steve. I knew about the process called freeze-drying but that equipment is expensive. Never thought a home freezer would work to dry/preserve plants. Even if they don't hold color the shape is beautiful. Are they stiff enough to stand unaided...are they very brittle?

Have you tried drying other plants in your freezer? You've introduced a possible new method to me. Thanks for any more info you can provide. josh

• carolinagirl13
    15 years ago

swampthing_grower,
    i have never seen a plant like this b4 but, to me its pretty in a way:), but you should probably put them in a frezzer like the person said above y'a...josh i think his name is....but, i've heard of ppl doing this sometimes so it can dry out quicker but, y'a know i'm a first timer on here and planter so i might need some advice as well....like on how to plant this i don't know the name of it on the top of my head...haha what do ya know say something and forget it :) im a true blonde lol!!!