Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orris Root - where do I find it?

Posted by Mjack7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 04 at 16:53

I have trying to find orris root for making potpourri. I've been to Michael's Arts & Crafts, grocery stores, and I did find a website in San Franciso that had it, but the shipping cost was too high.

Does anyone know where I can find it. I live in Wilson, NC which is about 45 miles east of Raleigh. I can drive to Rocky Mount easily. Or if you know a website where I can order it, that would do. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orris Root - where do I find it?

I'm glad you asked, hope we get an answer. I've also been trying to purchase orris. I believe that several years ago I purchased some from Frontier Herbs, it was thru a catalog. I can't seem to find it in any sort of craft store. I guess it will have to be ordered online.

o

They have it at www.atlanticspice.com; they do have a minimum 30.00 order, but they have lots of wonderful things-edible spices as well as botanicals. They are a reputable co. w/ good cust. svc. If you don't want to order that much, www.magoomus.com sells smaller quantities.
I know there's others, just drawing a blank right now-I will post them later.

o

We get it from Nichols Garden Nursery. There's a link below -- from the Online Ordering page, choose Potpourri and then Potpourri Supplies.

We get the powder. Making your own powder from the dried root is an ordeal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nichols Garden Nursery

o

I order mine from San Francisco Herb Co., along with a lot of other botanicals, spices and teas. They have a brochure or you can order online.

Gail

o

Are you sure it isn't at your grocery store? It is usually bottled like and sold alongside spices. Ot it might be shelved beside specialty flours like rice flour or soy flour.

You could also grow, dry and grind it for yourself. It is from the rhizome of an iris.

o

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 18, 04 at 10:42

I've found it at the local organic foods grocery. It's in with the bulk herbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here