Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping winterberries

Posted by marsha111 z5MA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 24, 02 at 7:18

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a suggestion for keeping cut winterberry stems fresh until holiday time? I have picked a bunch of it, and kept them in water in my garage. They looked ok until 4-5 days later when the berries started to shrivel. I ended up putting them under my bird feeders for the birds to enjoy.

I only pick a little, so as to leave a ton for winter birds who love it. Problem is you have to pick it now, or in December, its all gone! I was thinking of adding some glycerine to the water in the bucket???

I'd welcome anyone's suggestions.

Thanks, Marsha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping winterberries

The glycerine should work, or you can use anti-freeze if you can't find glycerine.

Another thing you can try is dipping in wax. Melt wax and thin it with Mineral Oil so it doesn't look all "waxy." They won't last as long as the other way, but they'll keep much longer.

Here is a link that might be useful: preserving using anti-freeze

o

Thanks a bunch, AnnMarie!

Marsha

o

AnnMarie,

Would you be so kind as to tell me how much glycerine or antifreeze to put and how much water. I am assuming I would mix up a batch of this solution and store the cut stems in it???

Thanks again,
Marsha

o

Marsha,
If you use glycerin, mix equal parts of glycerin and water.

With antifreeze, use it just as it is, or you can thin it with alcohol. Always be careful about where you put your antifreeze because the methyl alcohol in it is toxic.

Prestone makes an antifreeze called "LowTox" that's a mixture of glycerin and isopropyl alcohol. It's much safer if you can find it. Put the cut stems in the solution and you should be able to see it as it's taken up the stem, about 2-3 weeks.

o

Thanks again, AnnMarie

Marsha

o

Don't forget that pets LOVE the taste of antifreeze, and if they get into even a teaspoonful, you have probably just lost a pet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here