Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dried eucalyptus wreath problem

Posted by EricaSJ 6B-7 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 5, 04 at 9:55

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this.

I bought a eucalyptus wreath a little over a year ago. I keep it on our front porch, which is semi-enclosed--closed on three sides, and a screen door on the front. It doesn't get directly rained on, but the porch can be generally damp, especially with the wet summer we've had.

When I lifted the wreath off its hook recently, I noticed it felt cool and heavy, like it had absorbed moisture. And here is the big thing--there is white furry stuff "growing" off some of it. I don't know whether it's actual mold, or the eucalyptus oil leaching out somehow.

Is there any way to save it, or should it just be pitched? How can I keep this from happening again with a new one? Should I give up on dried wreaths of any kind in this kind of damp situation?

Thanks!

Erica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dried eucalyptus wreath problem

It probably is mold, Erica. I'm in a high-humidity area, & have found mold growing on some of my drieds. If the humidity is getting above 55% very often, it will probably be too damp. If the mold is not in a conspicuous area, maybe you could remove the affected leaves, & move the wreath to a drier area. On the porch, a grapevine-based wreath might be better, decorated with something not so apt to be affected by dampness. Maybe bittersweet berries for fall, or rosehips. Fall leaves can be dried & dipped in melted paraffin for extra sturdiness, then glued to the wreath base. Artemesia doesn't seem to be affected by the dampness too much, either.

o
RE: Dried eucalyptus wreath problem

I, too, have experienced a problem with my dried eucalyptus wreath that I bought only a month ago. But, my problem is that it's weeping eucalyptus oil! I couldn't figure out where the yellow oil was coming from as it was in spots on my white door and around the frame. Then, I looked at the wreath and could see droplets on the ends of the stems! I'm not sure if it can be salvaged or not. The door is sheltered from the elements, but we've had a very damp fall and it does get windy. Any suggestions? I would take it back but I lost the receipt from Michael's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here