Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfie4_gw

Sweet Annie

wolfie4
21 years ago

Have some Sweet Annie, would anyone trade for some other dried flower. It is not dried yet, but can pick, thanks

Comments (18)

• morgnz
    21 years ago

Hi Wolfie,
    I don't need any Sweet Annie, but I do need your expertise. What is the best way to dry it? I just air-dried mine and they came out all brittle and not at all attractive. Thanks in advance.

• wolfie4
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Have found that the best way is to put in a container and let the branches droop down, they look so attractive that way, and are easier to design. When I make wreaths out of it I make the wreaths while the plants is still fresh, it is so much easier to bend and twist.

Have a friend who dried hers by hannging and they really were not good for design or what ever. Hope this helps, any questions e- mail me.

• Greenhouse_Guy
    21 years ago

My advice on Sweet Anne would be to glycerin preserve it instead of air drying. Glycerin preserving will naturally keep it soft and pliable for years to come.

• linda_schreiber
    21 years ago

Glycerin sounds great, especially to keep it from 'dropping bits' as heavily as air-dried does. But does the glycerin treatment interfere with the lovely fragrance? I would hate to lose that. I would rather gather and airdry yearly, and deal with the 'bits' mess.

• wolfie4
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Yes, I've tried the glycerin treatment and does work, but it can be expensive and like you say, not quite the old sweet annie. Guess I like natural things, someone at our garden club dyes everything and it ends up all these funny colours and smells. Why the need to change nature?

• Greenhouse_Guy
    21 years ago

I have never known glycerin preserved plants to have any different smell than the plant has naturally. Like wolfie4 says in the above thread you can also add dyes if you wish to color preserved plants a fall color or as an accent plant. I rather like the looks of many of the colors that people commonly use. I guess each to his own. One gallon of glycerin is ually mixed with four gallons of water giving 5-gallon of preserving solution. You can do an overwhelming numer of different plants with that much solution.

• quilter
    21 years ago

I am looking for a source for Sweet Annie seeds. I have not been able to find them in my area.. I know it grows here - I buy it at fall festivals..but no source for seeds

• josie_il_z5
    21 years ago

Anyone needing seeds or plants, just contact me next spring (for plants) or late summer (for seeds). I have to pull them up by the bushel as they germinate so easily.

• morgnz
    21 years ago

Pinetree Garden Seeds sells Sweet Annie, 100 seeds for $0.95. I think Park Seed has them, too.

• Greenhouse_Guy
    21 years ago

Plant Sweet Anne once and you will never have to plant it again. It is very invasive. I planted a long row four years ago and the seed from that row went everywhere.
    Bob

• janets_pa
    20 years ago

I was recently given what they called Sweet Anne. Very soft plant, clumpy, and very fragrant. What is this, does anyone have a picture of it... and can tell me all about it. Is it an herb, flower, what? I am lost on this one.

• wolfie4
    Original Author
    20 years ago

janets, it will grow to about 5feet tall and will smell quite nice, some people are allergic to it. When it matures it will be covered with seeds, these seeds will go all over the garden, and of course will reseed next year. I use it in wreathes, they make really nice ones. You can minimise reseeding by cutting the plant down before it has time to release the seeds. This can be done in late Sept. early Oct. here. Hope this helps

• parmm
    20 years ago

Just dug 6 huge Sweet Annie plants out of the garden. Over 6 foot tall. Wife planted them not knowing they would get so big. The steams are like trees. Thinking of replanting them WAY out back by the creek. Don't know if they will come back here in western New York State. The bees loved them.

• pdpucci
    20 years ago

Do you have any guidance for growing Artemisia annua
    (Sweet Annie) indoors?

• cassiet
    19 years ago

Do you still have any of this for trade or SASE. I have a friend who has been looking for this for a while and would love to have some. She doesn't KNOW yet about this site although I just told her. Will you let me know if you have any or if you know of anyone who may have some of the seed Thanks Cassie

• lindaflower
    17 years ago

I just bought a Sweet Annie plant and was wondering if they like part sun or full sun or shade. I live in Texas (zone 8)so full sun is really for drought tolerant plants. Thanks bunches!

• linda_schreiber
    17 years ago

I know that Sweet Annie will do well in partial shade, even in southern Michigan. In most areas, it likes full sun, and is very good at dealing with very dry hot conditions. But I suspect that in your area, you may want to stick it in partial shade..... Maybe afternoon shade when things are hottest?

• bpstanfield
    6 years ago

I've grown in full sun in Oklahoma Zone 7.

Sponsored