Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drying mountain ash berries

Posted by feldon z7 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 24, 06 at 17:42

I have a mountain ash tree which is covered with bunches of red berries. How do I go about drying them. I want to use them in a wreath.
Felicity

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drying mountain ash berries

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 7:02

I hope someone with actual experience with Mountain Ash berries will respond but in the meantime I'm going to suggest you experiment if you have enough time (and berries).

I've never even seen a Mountain Ash but I've dried berries from lots of other trees and shrubs by just clipping twigs or branches and standing in a container with no water. Or lay them out on newspaper or racks to dry. When I try something unfamiliar to me, I try a few just barely ripe (red) and some ripe, as often one type will last longer dried or shrink/discolor less. It's mostly just trial and error for me. Some might even drop off the stem once dried when you work with them so it might be better to make your wreaths with the fresh berries and let them dry on the wreath. Just pick a few twigs and experiment.

This is just to maybe get you started...still hoping someone who really knows their berries ~smile~ will chime in. Good luck. josh

o
RE: Drying mountain ash berries

I would be interested in purchasing a package of dried Mountain Ash berries for my Ras el Hanout.
Pleeeeese contact me if that is possible.

Warm regards,
Renee; sole proprietor, Chumley & Stellas & Co.s

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dried & Pressed Flowers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here