Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
showmeoz

Ground Cover Blues Challenge

LivingInOz
20 years ago

OK - I am going crazy with this. I need a ground cover to go under three mature oak trees in my front yard in south central MO.

The soil here: packed, clay, often gravely, gooey in spring, dessert dry in summer, grass sporadic and weedy. Top it off with light to moderate shade and four bee hives and I'm in deep!

I would like a less than 4" tall, compact, evergreen or semi-evergreen cover that handles minimal foot traffic, deal with shade and drought, and not attract most of the thirty thousand bees across the yard. (who I must say have been very well behaved in the past considering my gardens are all out front here, too)

I have a list of plants a mile long and it's making me dizzy. First I thought Vinca minor (periwinkle) - nope - it's invasive. Then I went to stepables.com and they do have lots of really nice stuff, but pricey!! Wow.

Oh, and just to make it a real challenge I can't afford to buy a bazillion plants. We just don't have it in the 'landscape trust' (LOL). Seeds would be better.

My latest idea is thyme. I already grow thyme in the herb bed near this spot and I hear Wooly Thyme is a nice ground cover... what do y'all suggest?

Thanks so much to any and all who dare to confront the dreaded groundcover challenge...

Jill

Comments (5)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    20 years ago

I don't think wooly thyme will like the shade or spring wet, and it tends to mug out periodically, so you wouldn't want it covering a large area. How about Liriope spicata, which spreads from rhizomes? I will take all the conditions you describe.

• tucsonliz
    20 years ago

Rosemary is fairly drought-tolerant. It smells good, and also blooms.

• Doogle
    20 years ago

Jill,
    Was thinking of rosemary when I saw Liz has suggested it!

I just visited an abandoned orchard in the middle of a scrub. The place is ancient with stone walls and remnant prunus, figs etc. AND they have planted a rosemary border which has lasted the last three suimmers (No rain for 6 months each summer!) and god knows how many years of neglect. No wonder my border is so healthy.

I would be interested in hearing other ideas also.

Doogle.

• Sachis2112
    20 years ago

There's this stuff out now called "Stepables". Do a quick web search to see if they carry it in your area. I've been ogling the Stepables rack since grass virtually refuses to grow under my pine tree. I'm certain they have stuff that'll do for you.

• LivingInOz
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks ya'll for the feedback. Laceyville, Tusconliz, Doogle and Sachis.

I did check out Steppables as I noted in the original post. They have nice stuff but it is very pricey. I have since found many of the same items in several common garden catalogs but they are still expensive. Rosemary dies in our wet freeze and thaw winters. I finally was able to keep one lovely rosemary alive inside this winter and it is now enjoying the herb garden but it must come out each winter.

And I think you're right about the wooly thyme - I've heard that from others.

Since I first posted this, I have put a rock path 2 1/2 feet wide across the aforementioned area and will fill the niches with the creeping thyme that is overflowing my herb bed in the same area. I have also encircled the trees with large rocks and in one of them I have planted "wild" iris (absolutely gorgeous and free from my ditch out front) that seems to do just fine out there on the shady side of the road under oak trees mixed with perennial Dames Rocket.

The other tree is filled with a lovely mint called "Iced Tea" on the sunny side and I've planted more Dames Rocket on the shadier side... not sure about this one but I had tons of transplants I started from seed so, what the heck.

The other got a mix of Dames Rocket, violets, and a few year old echinacea transplants that the raspberries were running over. So far everything is looking great.

I did get a snippet of a variegated vinca (periwinkle) and put that out in the back of the house in yet another rocked in bed that is in really deep shade.

Thanks for the help! Jill

Sponsored