Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hdladyblu_2007

drought

hdladyblu_2007
16 years ago

i live on 70 acres of woods in central ga.my well has been dry for 3 mos.i was getting water from gal next door but now her well has gone dry.there is no water in my well;you can drop a rock in it and it hits mud.i've been hauling water in;buying at walmart for 33cents a gallon for drinking water,getting it from the car wash for a little cheaper,but i wouldn't use it for consumption.also have rain barrels everywhere.just wanted to let everyone know that this drought is really real.water table here is so low that even if i had the money,i couldn't dig deep enough to hit water.it's very bad.

Comments (8)

• linda_schreiber
    16 years ago

I'd heard things about the serious drought in GA, but I really didn't realize just how bad things were.......

How is this happening in *Georgia*! I could understand Arizona, or Nevada, or parts of Montana and Oklahoma, but *Georgia*? And in the winter!?!

You have my sympathy and good thoughts, and I wish I could arrange lots of trucks full of better than just good thoughts.

Linda

• dixielib
    16 years ago

I'm in NE Georgia mountains and the drought was a major problem, especially over the summer when we would go weeks without even a sprinkling of rain. We are getting more now and are expecting 1 to 2 inches tonight. I hope you get some of that. We cut our water usage about in half by recycling gray water and watering the garden from rain barrels. We used several water conservation suggestions we read...I'm sure that are plenty of good ones discussed here. If only we had all started doing this 10 years ago...sigh.

• farmfreedom
    16 years ago

Did it kill the KUDZU yet ? that would be serious .

• hamey
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your mis-fortune! My God, it really is Bad. I live in florida and I worry all the time about about the well going dry.. The one next door to me did and a couple years ago a couple wells on the next street over went dry. Your in my thoughts and I hope somehow some thing good will come a long and help you get the money for for that well. I mean forget about the plants at this point YOU have no water! Can you sell some of your acreage? (I'm sure you've already thought about that) Much luck

• scarlett2001
    14 years ago

We have to face that we are in a period of real climate change and it's not about politics, it's about science.

• linda_tx8
    14 years ago

In my part of south-central Texas we've been in drought straight through since 2006. It's been at the highest drought level (exceptional) since last year. Natives trees are dying along the roads here. In the greater San Antonio area records are being broken every month on heat and rainfall. It's been the driest 23 months in recorded history. This summer has been especially hard because of the extreme heat.

• Kathryn Botard
    14 years ago

Here too linda, here too. It's 103 right now, but that is nothing unusual this year. It really breaks my heart to see so many dying trees. Most are Pin Oak and Ash for now. I see a few Live Oaks dying as well. I have plants in my yard I keep watered, but they are dying anyway because of the heat. I guess I'll have to replant later if things improve. Still, I can't afford to lose a tree, so I'll water the trees as long as I can. I think I'm going to lose a Pecan tree anyway.

• floweryearth
    13 years ago

Good Lord I knew it was bad, and I know this thread started a while back, but wow. I agree that climate change is very real, and we all need to pray and do what we can to the best of our ability to help the Earth.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH