Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need tomato varieties for heat/drought...help!

Posted by marylandmojo zone 7--Md. (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 8, 07 at 15:45

For those of you who grow vegetables in hot, dry climates--do you have any specific Tomato varieties that have proven themselve successful in intense heat, particularly. I CAN provide water, but wonder also about drought-resistant varieties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need tomato varieties for heat/drought...help!

check "native seed search " tucson AZ . FOR THERE wild type tomatoes .
Also remember that cold tolerance and drought tolerance are closely related . so try that strain that was developed for Greenland , Siberian varieties and check www.ARS-GRIN.GOV for varieties.

o

HOMESTEAD can take the heat'thats one of it's features

o

I know these aren't tomatoes, but cousins...try Tomatillos!

Vera

o

If you're still looking...

I have had good luck with Spanish-sounding varieties. They might be Italian or Mexican - who knows? In particular, Muchamiel, Rio Grande, and Tres Cantos did real well for me this year. They are smaller and not quite my preffered flavors, but they will produce for you. At least they are bigger than cherry tomatoes, which grow under any conditions...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here