Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_rose_gw

Rain Barrel - UV degradation question

kate_rose
19 years ago

Hi folks I'm new,

I am installing a rain barrel system for collection & storage & I just came home with 10 55 gallon white food grade plastic drums. I have the setup part covered BUT

I live in a really sunny area & wonder if anyone knows if these barrels will degrade with UV exposure. Some I am installing in a relatively shady area but others will be in full sun all the time. (I tried to look this up without luck) If you reccomend painting them what kind of paint would I need to use??

In addition even if they are painted I assume some light will get in. This may cause algae/stagnation problems (each will have a tiny air vent so that they can fill up while interconnected) but I will be storing the water for a long time I suspect because I will be using it in 2 cases to fill small ornamental/wildlife ponds (we get rain in spring but the ponds need topping off in summer). I can add fish or pond snails easily.

Also if painted a dark UV resistant color the water will heat up considerably which might not be so good for the pond organisms.

Please let me know what you recomend or have expierienced. I guess I should have said questions not question.

Thanks, Kate

Comments (5)

• irisgirl
    19 years ago

Hi Kate,
    We are canoeists and have successfully prevented a lot of UV degradation of our plastic camping items by the application of a wonderful (but kind of pricey) liquid called "303".

We have used 303 for the past 10-12 years on the exterior of our Mad River 17' canoe, the dry bags and boxes, our roll-up tables, even our plastic patio chairs! I would highly recommend it to you.

I did a search for "UV Protectant" at www.rei.com - the URL below shows the entire result string.

Here is a link that might be useful: 303 Protectant at REI

• kate_rose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Iris I will definitely look into it. Sounds like it would be just the thing except for how pricey perhaps. I am really wondering though if it is neccesary or not. . .

Anyone have experience with rain barrels degrading over time or not degrading as the case may be?? Heating up etc.??

• kate_rose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Iris it does look good. Can you please answer a couple of questions.

How often do you have to apply it & how does it hold up when rained on or dumped in the river??

• kate_rose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So I would really like some info on this. I know I am not supposed to cross post but can someone suggest another forum perhaps that would have folks with rainbarrel experience??

• tuanh
    18 years ago

you can put a 55gal black plastic bag over the barrel, the trash bag need to be change every 5yrs or so. you can also buy a 10' x 10' UV treated tarp at wal-mart or harbor freight for 2$ a piece to cover you barrels, i use tarps to covered barrels and they seem to do well.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH