Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Automatic Watering From Rain Barrels

Posted by Rollie4620 Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 23:01

I started experimenting with automatic watering last summer. I have my downspouts connected to 55 gallon drums. I placed a tap as close to the bottom as possible and installed a filter on the inside to keep dirt particles from going through the tap. I have an electric solenoid switch (the 110V valve from a washing machine) that controls the water flow from the tap in the rain barrel to perforated plastic tubing that trickles water to my garden.

The solenoid switch is controlled by a timer and I can control the amount of water this way. As long as there is some rain every couple of weeks, the barrel is never empty. I can fertalize the garden by simply adding soluable fertalizer to the barrel.

I'm still trying to come up with a humidity/moisture sensor that will prevent the solenoid switch from coming on if the soil is already wet enough. Does anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Automatic Watering From Rain Barrels

Wow you sound pretty far along already. I know there are humidity monitors which will send an electric signal because I have seen them . . . but where ??? I would try a landscaping business maybe on the web that specialized in drip irrigation. Our drip system has an automatic freeze or rain sensor so our system won't go on in those cases. It can't be that hard to have a soil moisture device inserted for feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here