Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drought resistant crop

Posted by desertvalleywitch (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 3:28

I live in the Arizona desert. Before the white settlers, a major food staple was the mesquite tree bean. The tree thrives in the desert, and it produces bean pods with rock hard beans. The traditional way to process it was with a metate, basically a stone mortar and oblong pestle. Machine processing tends not to work because it gets gummy. The bean provides a complex carbohydrate that is especially good for maintaining blood sugar levels. Used mostly for bread I think. For more information, contact the Tucson Botanical Gardens.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drought resistant crop

Thanks.

o

I love it! We have native mesquites not too far away from where I live; it was a staple for the native peoples of the Morongo Basin.

o

Mesquite beans also can sustainabley make 300 gallons of ethanol per ACRE> per year, this is as good as corn WITH NO PESTICIDES AND FERTILIZERS LIKE CORN. Theres better sources for ethanol but you cant bet a source that produces as well as corn in the desert, with nothing involved besides planting them nd harvesting it yearly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here