Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudpuppy42

Plants for dry SHADE?

mudpuppy42
18 years ago

O.K. guys--a challenge. What will survive in dry shade and close to unbearable humidity? Yep, plenty of humidity, but next to no precipitation. I have lots of mature trees, but even they have been stressed throughout these past drought years, and it looks as if another one is on the way. The situation is complicated by health problems which will prevent me from doing much watering this year (not to mention that my well is stressed, too). Any suggestions? -- Perennials? Shrubs?

Comment (1)

• pajamagardener
    18 years ago

Hi Mudpuppy42, I also garden in NC (Chapel Hill) and am struggling with dry shade as well. The following plants are working well for me (I also have deer, so these are deer-resistent too):

Shrubs
    --Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Goshiki': I love this shrub--variegated foliage with reddish new growth
    --Mahonia
    --Kerria
    --Boxwood: I looked used to think boxwood was boring, but I've gained a new appreciation for it since it is so tough and the deer don't touch it. I like the English boxwood best.
    --creeping gardenia
    --Ilex crenata 'Helleri': I'm not crazy about this shrub but these were at the house when we moved in. I never watered them, and the drought didn't faze them.

Perennials
    --Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae: a low-growing evergreen that always looks good.
    --Evergold Carex: this plant is said to need lots of water, but it grows in the dryest parts of my garden with no water.(I also grow Carex elata 'Bowle's Golden' which does require watering.)
    --Hellebores
    --Stachys lanata Lamb's Ear: Supposed to be full sun, but I'm growing this in 2-3 hours of afternoon soon
    --columbines, all kinds
    --Symphytum 'Hidcote Blue'
    --Autumn fern: May need watering to get established. Mine are tough as nails now, though the ones growing in the dryest parts of my yard aren't as lush as the ones growing in better conditions.
    --Japanese painted fern: Supposed to need lots of water but grows well in an especially dry area for me.
    --liriope: The deer do eat this, but only in early spring when it needs a haircut anyway. The variegated kind doesn't seem to spread & pop up everywhere.
    --Aspidistra: the deer sometimes nibble this
    --Epimediums: I don't grow these, but they are widely recommended for dry shade and I plan to get some this year.

If you don't have to worry about deer, then you have a lot more options (hostas, oh how I miss them): aucuba, sarcocca, heuchera, lamium, bergenia, azaleas, tiarella, and on and on.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?