Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Xeriscape Extreme seed mix

alison
18 years ago

I'm planting a slope in front of my office this spring, and while I've started a lot of specific plantsd, there is an awful lot of 'ground to cover', so to speak. It's a south-facing, fast draining slope, and a seed pack labelled "Xeriscape Extreme' from Botanical Interests caught my eye at the garden center.

I'm thinking of sowing a big tray of it and planting out hunks of the seedlings in their own little beds this spring. I have no idea what they'll look like, and I may want to keep replacing these "pre-mix" beds with a combination of my own plants, but it seems like it may be an easy way to get something pretty going in the short run.

We've got some lilac bushes and two peach trees in the space now, and I'd like to make this space as pretty as possible, since we look at it all day outside the plate glass window. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to be the only one really working in it, and I've got a garden of my own to attend to. There is a spigot right on the front of the building, and I'm thinking of setting out some soaker hoses, but realistically, this is going to rely much more on natural rainfall.

Does anyone know this blend, or have any comments on this strategy? Appreciate any suggestions! Here's what's contained in the mix (pretty much the same proportion):

Lupine Arroyo

Sweet Pea Cupido

Cosmos Sulfur

Blanketflower

Gazania

California Dwarf yellow poppy

California poppy

African Daisy

California Bluebell

White Evening Primrose

Bird's Eyes

Blue Flax