Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drought tolerant sidewalk strip garden ideas.

Posted by javaandjazz z6 CT (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 16:07

Hello,
I live on a corner with sidewalks on both sides of my house. In between the sidewalks and the roads is the narrow strip of grass that I am tired of trying to get grass to grow here. This year I would like to put in drought tolerant low growing perennials in this area. The front yard faces east and along the side that's the south side so you see it gets full hot sun all day! Along the south side I planted purple leaf plum trees that are starting to create some shade. Does anyone have any ideas of what would grow out here. I live in zone 6 CT. Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drought tolerant sidewalk strip garden ideas.

Cornell and Rutgers U have list for your region. Check them out.

o

Is it too cold there for sedums? I have a strip of land next to my driveway that's a level above where the irrigation water flows into the yard, and since I don't want to plant anything there that would need H2O attention, I threw a bunch of sedum cuttings there this spring. They're all righting themselves up and rooting as I type this. And next spring, with some weeding done first, they should be think enough to stop most other things from growing.

o

Check out the reviews of "Sedum Acre Gold Moss" at the Dave's Garden website. You would only need a few clumps to start. It will grow extremely fast & fill the areas you are describing.
I don't believe it will be invasive as it will be contained by curbing on one side & sidewalks on the other. I grew some in southeast CT, zone 6 at the street end of a long flower bed and it was very hardy, but not invasive. The sedum was one of the few plants that would tolerate the road salt & sand every winter. It's very pretty when in bloom.

o

wow. I came online looking for the exact same thing javaandjazz.

petzold: if would be helpful if you actually put a link instead of "Cornell and Rutgers U" .... those colleges have HUGE WEB SITES to navigate.

I hate sedum. Think they're very ugly. Was hoping for some type of shrub.

o

There are lots of drought-tolerant perennials you could plant in your boulevard. Check out the web site of High Country Gardens in NM. Keep in mind that some of the plants David recommends are not hardy in the Northeast.

Here is a link that might be useful: xeric boulevard plants

o

Here I am, on the west coast with the same problem. People here are putting in drought resistant stuff with decomposed granite in between, but that looks too much like the Arizona desert to me. One neighbor actually paved his parkway over! I want to use low water foliage but my husband wants to try Bermuda or Buffalo grass. If we don't get some rain this winter, it will become a moot question!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here