Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering lawn

Posted by idaho_rc ID (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 05 at 11:05

Greetings,
I have just bought a new house that has a 1/4 acre. The downside is it's on city water and is quite expensive to water. Another downside is that I like to keep a green lawn. So I'm trying to find ways to keep it green and healthy but not using as much water. I'm doing the basics that I know of right now(please let me know if they're wrong): fertilizing and mulching on one of the highest settings on my lawn mower.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering lawn

Eliminate most of the lawn, and splurge on water for the rest.

Cut WAY back on the fertilizer - it stimulates growth and that requires more water.

Get a moisture meter, and only water when it shows that the ground is dry enough to need it.

\when you water, water deeply, to get the roots to grow deep where they are safer from short sry spells.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here