Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chroma2424

Can you use washer water for the garden?

chroma2424
20 years ago

I would assume yes :) However, there may be some specifications, right?

Anyway, I use a biodegradable washing detergent, but I also add washing soda and borax, which are alkaline, right? Though the detergent is acidic, right? Do I need to add anything to balance things out like a splash of vinegar, or will the washing soda and borax not hurt the plants? I'm not in a drought area, but I thought you might know.

I don't have a hose (well, my landlord bought a hose, he just didn't buy a spigot handle because they thought it would get stolen, so we were supposed to use some wrench to turn it on. It has since been stripped of all turnable grooves), I just have to haul a watering can up and down from the basement. I was going down there to fill it up and saw that the water was filling up the tub from the washer and dunked it in. I've not really planted much yet.....

Anyway, is biodegradable laundry detergent, washing soda and borax, and hard water ok for plants? Its not like we do wash that often so it wouldn't be more than every week. Then again my upstairs neighbor also does laundry, but it is not biodegradable detergent.

Comments (13)

• rebow
    20 years ago

I've heard that its illegal in PA anyways, to use "gray" water such as bath water or washer water. I've personally been using bath water for a while now and my plants don't mind the suds, I even use bubble bath and bath oils. I just bought a sump pump and place it in the tub when I'm done and attach that to one of those roll-a-hoses that's fabric on the outside and pull that through my house to my garden. I've seen where you can rig the washer to discharge its water into a hose which leads to your garden but if you use a shared washer that may mean disconnecting the rigging after every time you use it. Sorry I can't comment on the effects of detergetns or borax on plants becuase I haven't tried it. good luck!

• nora_in_vancouver
    20 years ago

Don't use the water on your garden or lawn if you've added borax. Borax is poisonous to many plants (some more than others) but increasing amounts will eventually kill everything. It moves very slowly through the soil, so if you get too much on the soil it can take years to recover.

There was a thread on the Soil forum recently about this.

• mdryja
    20 years ago

When I was growing up my mom did this all the time. Normal detergent -- tide, whatever -- and it greened up the grass real nice!

If you want to make sure that you use a "safe" detergent, I can recommend Seventh Generation's -- all natural, biodegradable, etc. www.seventhgen.com

• mollywaters
    20 years ago

There are usually more phosphates in the water after bathing/washing that plants can really enjoy. Just check that it isn't illegal. It is here in UT.

• mdryja
    20 years ago

I did a lot of research on this last night. Turns out it is basically illegal in most states. Some are OK -- I think New Mexico allows something like 250 gallons a month to be put out.

In most states, you can use graywater, but it has to be put into a dredge (?) field, so that it can do under the surface watering.

And, apparently, you shouldn't put graywater in a rain barrel, as it can get nasty.

The link has a lot of info regarding all of this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gray water Central

• ramona
    20 years ago

You can buy laundry discs that do the same thing as
    detergent which are both surfactants (allows the
    water to penetrate the clothes which is what actually
    does the washing) According to my local department
    of health, the washerwater has actually got bacteria
    and so forth in it after washing. You could put it through
    a sand filter if you wanted which takes care of that.
    You could also water under the ground with it, that is
    okay in our County. You could also put it in your
    toilet tank to flush with if you wanted to.

• popsiclepatti
    20 years ago

We had a wringer washer when I was a kid and my mom ALWAYS dumped the water on the flower beds. She had great flowers and not much in the way of insect damage.

• ludmilla
    20 years ago

A late response as I've only recently joined.
    It can't be illegal in Texas as George Bush Jnr apparently recycles gray water onto his ranch grounds .

• new_mexico
    20 years ago

My washer drains outside, so it does'nt fill up my septic tank. My grass loves this water. Sue

• laureljuniper
    20 years ago

Arizona allows use of graywater if you follow several rules. http://cals.arizona.edu/cochise/waterwise/graywater.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: U of A Agriculture

• Rosie Rose
    8 years ago

according to this site, both borax and washing soda are no go's for the garden:

http://ecologycenter.org/factsheets/greywater-cleaning-products/

• PRO
    Novel Remodeling
    7 years ago

Yes this is a thing and its called Gray Water. In California we help homeowners install a gray water system and use the water from faucets, showers, and laundry to store for use in the garden. Works like a charm and reduces your lawn watering costs tremendously.

Sponsored