Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot humid temp (90s)

Posted by sammyyummy none (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 13:23

Hi. My concern is what to do with my seedlings if the temperature outside is very hot and humid. It is almost 90s and above on a daily basis. My seedlings are about 1 to 3 weeks old, and some have shown brown discoloration on the leaves which I think are scorch marks.

I'm on a bind as the seedlings need sunlight but there's just too much where I live and too hot as well. Elsewhere in the house, it's immensely shaded so the plants tended to be spindly.

What do I do?

In addition, watering also becomes an issue. I try to bottom up water them in the morning daily but I'm afraid that I Might be overwatering them.

In fact, some of them have wilted.
I'm a simple gardener, not have the luxury of accessories beyond shovel, and water hose. In zone 11.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot humid temp (90s)

The hot sun is also a problem here.
I find that plants grown under few hours of direct sun light and mostly indirect sun grow better than those in full sun. They don't get leggy at all, in fact I’d rather have them leggy because the hot sun stunts their growth.

What plants are you growing? Bitter melon and basils(lemon and christmas) seem to have no problem under full sun. Eggplants once they get big enough can handle it as long as you give them enough water.

If the seedlings and transplants are planted in the sunny side, I sometimes place an object near them or over them to provide shade during the hottest part of the day. The object is removed when the plant is big and strong enough to handle the hot sun. Also, we usually water twice a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here