Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for some advice on getting a drought resistant front yard

Posted by sahmjay 9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 22:42

hey all,

i'm looking to do a drought resistant front lawn. i'm out in northern california.

how do you go about killing the grass so i can replace it with lower water needing plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for some advice on getting a drought resistant front

Check up on the term "xeriscaping" or "xeriscape lawn". That will help you in the right path.

As for killing your grass, you can cover it with something, such as cardboard, or you can remove a few inches of sod,, but you'll still have to fill in that area again since you don't want to design your new landscape in an area with a few inches lost.

o

thank you!

o

The process for removing grass depends on the type of grass. If you have a grass that spreads by rhizomes or stolons, you will probably need to use Roundup. If you have a fescue you can go the cardboard route or solarize it.
You may want to look at the book Reimagining the California Lawn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kill your lawn

o

Check out these websites: www.ecolandscape.org and saveourh2o.org

o

Thank you for the book recommendation lgteacher. It's been ordered.

o

I know is late but in case someone else is reading this before taking on a project..... Rent a sod cutter! Believe me, I'm in the process of removing my lawn and replacing it with low water landscaping right now and the 2 days I spent using the sod cutter were the best spent days of this project. Once the sod is removed dealing with the remaining grass roots that are still alive is much more manageable.

Water well a day or two before using the sod cutter.

But before you do anything, check with your city to see if there is a turf replacement rebate program. We're getting $2 a square foot back.

This post was edited by VedaBeeps on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 18:18

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here