Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much rain are you missing from average?

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 13:30

For this year, there is 15.19" of missing rain here from the average of 25.78". That's a shortage of 59%.

What are your numbers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much rain are you missing from average?

I'm not sure what my numbers are, but I bet they're even lower. I just read that Texas is in its third worst drought in history, and since October we've had a long string of "driest [insert month here]'s" in history.

My city is about to go into Stage 3 water restrictions, which limits watering to once a week by hand or by soaker hose, and once every two weeks by sprinkler.

Stage 4 is as high as it goes.

Here's a link to the U.S. Drought Monitor website for Texas: http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_state.htm?TX,S

I'm in the maroon bit. "Exceptional" drought, the worst category. This drought is already the third worst in history, and considering how it's only June, it's probably not going to get any better for a while and could possibly end up the worst in history.

o

So far, soil moisture is normal/good here. This current drought seems focused on Texas, Oklahoma, Gulf states and parts of Florida. Last Summer saw SEVERE drought though and August is no longer the WETTEST month of the year--now it seems likely to be drought month. Winter precip (rain and snow) seems much higher now--high enough to fill the aquifers and get us through the dry season. I have a feeling though that it's about to get hotter and DRIER on the East coast now.--Droughts tend to expand and spread more drought.

o

Had some short rains here lately but still missing just under 20" from normal, a deficit of 53%. Since most of it runs off instead of soaking into the hydrophobic soil, 2 days later everything is wilted again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animated drought map

o

Definitely looks to be growing in coverage and severity.

o

Since last September I have had just a hair under 6". Our average rainfal is supposed to be 34" per year.

o

Let's see. Normal 35" and I have had 5 3/4". That is 29" and she is still not raining. Another La Nina.

o

we are 10 below The farmers are really suffering but some places are worse. Not a good year at all

o

The drought map link has changed:

Animated 2012 drought map, past 12 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here