Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to identify water stress??

Posted by thecurious1 z5 Chicago (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 10:43

Hi There-

I've never had to give too much thought to lack of water. I have always had the crutch of a water hose and spigot coming out of my home. That combined with a small garden made it a non-issue.

With the drought in chicago, however, I have begun to wonder about identifying water stress. What should I look for in plants that are stressed for water? How do I know when the plant has enough water and to stop? I'm sure that there is a aite with a discussion of this, I just have never seen it. Any help in how to tell is a plant is getting enough water would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to identify water stress??

Varies with the plants. Some wilt and don't recover overnight. Others take on a "miscolor." Lawns may turn a touch purple or grey before turning brown. Deciduous plants often grey a bit..it is subtle, watch for it. Some plants will begin to roll their leaves in an attempt to reduce surface facing the sun. Damage begins such as burned leaf edges or flower buds falling off.

Insect problems such as spider mites literally explode in hot, dry weather. Leaves will feel gritty, have stippling marks from feeding.......and eventually webs form. By the web time the infestation is severe.

Mulch, mulch, mulch to conserve any moisture.

Damage may not appear until next year as the plants are not making enough carbohydrates for good growth and flowering next year.

In other words, it varies with the plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here