Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysbelle_gw

Illinois drought

kaysbelle
18 years ago

Looks like we may get some relief tonight through Wednesday, unfortunately it has to be from "Dennis". We are down about 9-10 inches so far this year. The farmers are crying - the corn and beans are suffering. The lawns here are brown - I don't mean brown spots but all brown. We need rain BADLY!!!.

Comments (12)

• woodyswife
    18 years ago

I hear you and understand! I know many farmers that are really fearing that they will lose their crops around this area again. I'm praying that all areas that need the rain will get some soon. I am hopeful as it is clouding up at this time.

• kaysbelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, It is Finally HERE!!! The rain started late last night and this morning by 7:00 we had 3/4 of an inch. The rain has continued all morning. It has been a nice easy rain which will sink in wonderfully. We just want it to continue.

• artchik
    18 years ago

We got nothing in DuPage county, although it looks like everywhere around us people got rain.

• otomatoo
    18 years ago

I LIVE IN JOLIET in will county and read in the paper tonite that we are in one of the worst agricultural disasters as far as drought is concerned>>>>WE got some rain last week but we really need to see much much more>>

sorry>

ruth

• Violet
    18 years ago

I live in Joliet also. My yard is completely brown. My flowers are blooming because I water them but they seem to be about half the height they normally would be, especially the annuals. What a pitiful gardening year.

• otomatoo
    18 years ago

Violet, my tomatoes are smiling today! It started raining at about 7 and hardly quit until 2..And from all reports i think we may get some more rain tomorrow-sweet!

I agree, so many things this year are dwarfed because of the drought..

Rain, sweet rain!

ruth

• kaysbelle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well - the last rain was okay - 1 3/4 inches. BUT..... It wasn't enough to turn the grass green. We haven't had to mow for about 6-7 weeks (not that I mind not having to mow) but I would love to have green grass again. We are about 9 inches below average. When it comes from the west it seems to die out when it hits the Mississippi River. Watering every other day to keep this years planting alive is okay but getting tiresome but I won't let them die. WE need RAIN badly.

• Chitown33
    18 years ago

It's been really dry here. It's another hot and sunny day in the 90s here, and the whole yard is brown. Watering has become a daily part of life, I feel sorry for those of you who are under issued restrictions. This has been the driest summer in 135 years I heard.
    Check out the drought map:
    http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

We've only had a few rains this month, all being under half an inch. June had even less.

I truely feel like I live in the southwest this summer...

Chitown

• otomatoo
    18 years ago

Last week, we were driving along rte. 126 thru plainfield and out into the dekalb area, all the corn was so much shorter than it should have been. I beleive the corn was around 3 foot tall when it should have been a good 5-6 foot.

What a shame.

We've had no rain whatsoever this week and none in the future. I believe my tomato production is down and my tomatoes are smaller due to the lack of.

I've raised these plants since seedlings in march and i hate to lose them..

ruth

• herb_wi
    18 years ago

Terrible drought here in NW Wisconsin. My garden just dried up and died. No rain for over 2 months and I have no way to hand water except for little dribbling amounts. Plus it's sandy here. Worst garden in 25 years. Only tomatoes making it.....

• october17
    18 years ago

We went from a chilly wet summer last year to hot dry one this year! I'll take last summer over this one anytime. I let my garden go, just can't water everyday! A $92 water bill! Hope we have some rain for the fall crops of peas and spinach. I'll be planting this them this weekend. I'm also planning a drip irrigation system for next year for my three new raised beds. Wish me luck!

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    18 years ago

Here is a site where you can check your state's monthly temperatures and rainfall......... way back.

Here is a link that might be useful: temperature/rainfall since 1900

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner