Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild rabbits and drought

Posted by flemfam4 SE WI (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 15:47

We are in the middle of a severe drought in SE WI. I've been watering my mixed shrub, tree and perennial bed trying to save what I can. Many of the shrubs and perennials were newly planted last year. Since I have just about the only green oasis in the neighborhood the rabbits have been eating what they can to survive. I can't blame them and usually there's more than enough plants for the both of us, except this year they are really taking a toll. Is there anything that I can feed them to supplement their diet so it doesn't have to be the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild rabbits and drought

Nope. Fence in the shrubs and provide a drinking basin for them. A birdbath placed on the ground will work.

They CAN eat dried vegetation, they just need more water to properly digest it.

o

Sorry for not answering your question, but I too live in SW WI and my garden has been attacked by rabbits, ground hogs, deer and turkeys in ways that it never has before. This drought is terrible. We have had less than 0.25" of rain in the last month and a half. Good luck. John

o

Can you get them some of the commercial rabbit/guinea pig food and put out for them. A bowl of water as already suggested to go with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here