Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

What are your averages? (rainfall, temp & sunny days)

Mikey
21 years ago

This question may require some homework... I live in Cypress, CA. The nearest city to Cypress with historical weather data recorded is Long Beach. Since we share a common border, I will use Long Beach's averages:

Average yearly rainfall = 14.0"

Average yearly temperature = 64.2 degrees

Average # of days of sunshine = 345...... I think they cheated on this statistic and included cloudy/overcast days in which the sun may have made a brief appearance : >)

Comments (8)

• stitches216
    21 years ago

Mikey, glad you started this thread. It's late so I only did part of the homework. But one source indicates Houston's average annual rainfall is about 46 inches, compared to another source showing Atlanta's at over 50". Both cities are HOT in the summer. While Atlanta can get darned cold, Houston does not get very many frosts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houston-Vancouver comparison

• frostfreetemperate
    21 years ago

I live in Camarillo California which is located about 50 miles WNW of Los Angeles along the 101 freeway.

I was unable to find specific sunshine averages but I know it's better than 300yr.

Rainfall is about 13-15 a year averaging less than one inch from May through September.

The average high low for August are 78/60, and for January are 67/44. Highest temperature ever recorded was 103 Lowest temperature ever recorded was 28. Every month has a record high of greater than 90 (Santa Ana's can occur anytime here, but are more prevelant late fall through early spring, and are the primary source of our record highs in those months)

I used data from the URL below, along with my own records and the records obtained when I type in my zip code instead of the name of my city. I have higher temperatures than the table below, but warmer low temperatures (Summer and Winter) than the other table (one station is 4 miles nearer the ocean, the other is on the western foot of a hill in a valley [frost pocket] that blocks the seabreeze 4 miles further from the ocean.)

Hey, you asked!

Here is a link that might be useful: Averages and Records

• jenny_in_se_pa
    21 years ago

Interesting thread indeed. For Philadelphia residents based on the link below (I believe from 30 years of data):

Avg. Annual Max temp = 63.2° F
    Avg. Annual Min temp = 47.4° F
    Avg. Annual Mean temp = 55.3° F
    Avg. Annual Rain = 42.02"
    Avg. Annual Snow/Ice = 20.4"
    Avg. Annual % Sunshine = 56%
    Avg. Annual Rel. Humidity = 76% (a.m.) 55% (p.m.)
    Record High = 104° F
    Record Low = -7° F

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA's National Climatic Data Center

• iann
    21 years ago

For Manchester England:

Avg Annual Rainfall = 32" (UK range 20"-130")
    Days of Measurable Rain = 200 days (UK range 150 - 280)
    Avg Days With Snow Falling = 20 days (UK range 10 - 100)
    Avg Daily Sunshine = 3.5 hrs (UK range 2.5 - 4.5)
    Avg Annual Max temp = 55F (UK range = 50F-58F)
    Avg Max Temp of the Year = 90F (UK range 75F-93F)
    Avg Annual Min temp = 43F (UK range = 36F-46F)
    Avg Min Temp for the Year = 10F (UK range -11F - 28F)
    UK Record high = 99F (Midlands)
    UK record low = -17F (Scottish Highlands)
    Avg Annual Rel Humidity = 90%(am), 75%(pm)

The averages are for 1961-1990. The weather since then has been several degrees warmer with correspondingly less snow.

--ian

Here is a link that might be useful: UK Metererological Office

• jenny_in_se_pa
    21 years ago

LOL ian! My area gets more rain then yours (obviously in the form of brief but heavy downpours), but it's "always raining" over there... Talk about irony. ;-)

• iann
    21 years ago

Indeed, we have 37 words for different kinds of drizzle :) But I only have to drive a few miles to be somewhere with 100" of rain each year! And all that rain goes a long way when the relative humidity is close to 90% for much of the time.

I've been looking at those numbers. I'm fairly sure that the numbers I gave as Avg Annual Min/Max Temp are not annual averages at all, but the absolute lowest and highest recorded temperatures between 1961 and 1990. They don't quite match the record temperatures because the record is for any place in the country and the UK ranges are for regions.

--ian

• mikie_gw
    21 years ago

Avg. Temp: 73.7 degrees
    High 82 degrees (July/August); Low 59.8 degrees (January).

Sunshine: Average 361 days of sunshine a year!
    Rainfall: Average inches yearly - 48.38

• catkim
    21 years ago

San Diego boasts about the weather:
    average temperature: 70
    winter lows: rarely below 40
    average annual rainfall: less than 10 inches
    Most days are partly sunny, after the morning haze burns off.
    That rainfall statistic is a problem for gardeners. I often look at garden books and admire the lush green gardens, but think, "oh, that would never grow here".

Sponsored