Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted in Frederick Md recycled plastic barrels...

Posted by BritishSue Z6MD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 02 at 10:42

Have been told that these plastic barrels are used commercially and that once empty it does not pay the company to ship them back and that they should be on sale somewhere inexpensively.
Does anyone have any ideas, I've decided to catch rain off our good sized roof and want four for each corner!
I would drive an hour or more to pick them up.
Thank-you
BritishSue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted in Frederick Md recycled plastic barrels...

Sue;

I'd just keep my eyes peeled. Here in Chester county you can find them at some antique/"Junque" dealers, flea markets, yard sales, salvage yards, gas stations, and even a guy in Gap, PA that just sells used plastic drums.

I'd also check the local swap sheet, aka "Pennysaver" or what you call the used producs flier in Frederick Co.

Cheers.
--Jim

o

BritishSue - you want to be very careful about those drums - most times the reason it doesn't pay to recycle them is that they cannot be decontaminated from the "stuff" that was shipped in them. Oils, detergents, cleaners, dry-cleaning supplies etc. Sometimes really toxic stuff - like dry chlorine.
Cheaper and safer to just get four big trash cans, put spigots in the bottom, seal in with aquarium sealer and presto -- rain barrels.

o

Try Pepsi-cola in Baltimore. According to Maryland DNR pepsi sells used 55 gal drums for $5 each. I keep meaning to call them myself but it's been so long since we've seen any rain...

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions for cheap Rain barrel construction with sources

o

Thanks PaulaW for the link! For y'all in Texas and elsewhere, below is another link to additional sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Approved Rainbarrel Suppliers

o
RE: RE: Wanted in Frederick Md recycled plastic barrels...

Also for Texans, found a 66-page dot-pdf file on rainwater harvesting, at this URL:

http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/publications/reports/RainHarv.pdf

o

Here's a source of inexpensive, no-frills plastic rain barrels.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rain Barrels

o

Sue, another source might be the Knouse Foods plants near Gettysburg, PA. Plastic drums that fruit conc. was shipped in. They have a liner in them, so as a rule the drums are clean enough to eat out of. Plants are in Inwood, WV, Biglerville, Orrtanna, Peach Glen (hdqtrs), Gardeners and Chambersburg, PA. Also Duffy Mott apple processing in Gardeners, PA may have them. They can be found on the lawn of a house (for sale) on the road from B-ville to Hanover and also on the road from Orrtanna to Arndtsville.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here