Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainman_gw

Rain Gardening

MountainMan
21 years ago

This spring I took a class on the topic of Rain Gardening which focused on water conservation with plants. The main concept was that with urban sprawl we are losing our forests and creating more impermeable surfaces. When it does rain, the water rushes into the storm water drains (with all the pollutants) which dump into the rivers which dump into the ocean. So, the new concept promoted by the VA Forestry Department is to prevent the water from getting into the storm water drains by creating Rain Gardens. These gardens are built in low areas where water collects after a heavy rain. The garden is planted with water-tolerant native plants and trees with lots of mulch. It's also designed to hold standing water for no more than 3 days to prevent mosquito problems. When a heavy rain occurs, the water is trapped in the rain garden where it soaks back into the ground. The pollutants are prevented from entering the water system and although they are isolated to the rain garden many of the native plants can break down such chemicals. (phytoremediation)

The VA Forestry is really trying to get developers to consider this idea in place of the normal concrete storm water systems they build such as with large shopping centers. As Fresh water is becoming a scarce natural resource ideas like this will help to filter rain back into the water table and will create more natural areas in urban settings. And ideas like this will no doubt ease the effects of droughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: VA Forestry Dept. - Rain Gardens

Comments (9)

• hollyk
    21 years ago

Sounds like a great idea, as long as a drought doesn't follow it, or thsoe water-loving plants will be as dry as can be!

• stitches216
    21 years ago

Definitely a step in the right direction. Thanks MountainMan for sharing. I might take that class or one like it, too!

Shortly after moving into my neighborhood a little over 2 years ago, I took a walk among all the newly developed housing. My "eyeball estimate" was that in our particular area, 40 percent (or more) of the land mass was under pavements and rooftops. The land was formerly a seasonally swampy prairie, with scattered sparse trees or woodland atop practically bottomless clay.

So much of what rainwater once soaked in or sat stagnant, now is being added to the crowding in drainage systems for gravity-assisted throw-away into the Gulf of Mexico.

The old ecosystem is history. (I "rescued" a few of the wildflowers before the bulldozers wiped them out.) But there seem to be many, many things that we new residents could do, to restore the retention-to-runoff ratio to some semblance of the old system. Happy to hear my most recent former state of Virginia is out in front!

• anita
    21 years ago

It's not the same thing, I know, but around here, we have basin-shaped grassy lots. They are used as mini-parks when not filled with rainwater. I like the water garden idea better, though.

• Sherrie_Florida
    21 years ago

Thank you MountainMan for showing us the Rain Gardens.

In our area and I guess most of Florida they are building
    retension ponds. Their idea is somewhat correct for
    collecting water, but they could learn a lot from the
    site you showed us. Don't put the ugly fence around the
    retension pond. Just make a water garden.

I think it is so beautiful, I might make a little water
    garden here since I do have 2 acres to play with.

• merj13
    21 years ago

Hi Mountainman--
    This summer I've been reading a lot about Permaculture. I came up with an idea and actually went out and bermed up the two low sides of my front yard to retain any water, putting moisture lovers where the two bermed corners meet. I put a drain at the corner too...just in case it ever gets too wet. Not that big a possibility during the drought, but one never knows. I'm glad to know other people are doing this too. The big trick now is getting some shade in this corner so the water-lovers don't wither away under this intense heat/drought situation.
    What specific plants did you learn about? Most of mine are shade-lovers, and I need some that handle full sun.
    Did you study swales? That's a neat concept that helps you keep moisture-lovers a little more moist during droughts and water restrictions. If you haven't already, check out the Permaculture forum for more details. I'm getting a lot of good ideas over there.
    Thanks for sharing!
    merj

• animas
    21 years ago

It's a great idea! And just in time.

To show you how bad the problem has become, here is a link to a news story. CITY TO TAX RAINWATER

I'm not kidding! You gotta check this out. 'While it hasn't figured out how to tax air or sex, beginning in 2003 the Winona City Council will charge city property owners for the rain that falls on their land.' It's all because of run-off into storm drains and federal water quality issues.

This is so ridiculous, I had to share it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winona Daily News

• Fireraven9
    21 years ago

So, if you can prove that the water is captured on the land then you can apply for an exemption and not pay the tax cause you do not use the drain system? Paved land in flash flood areas is a problem and cities like Albuquerque use massive arroyos lined with concrete to help control waters. Unlike the situation you mentioned ... the city uses the water to put back into the Rio Grande since the river is often short of water.

Fireraven9
    Fairest of the months! Ripe summer's queen
    The hey-day of the year
    With robes that gleam with sunny sheen
    Sweet August doth appear. -Â Â R. Combe Miller

• merj13
    21 years ago

Animas,
    Join the crowd! LOL! The city of Greensboro, NC started doing this several years ago. It's a good way for them double your water rate.
    Fireraven, I'm with you. I'm getting industrious in my ways of keeping rainwater on my property. I want a tax exemption. Hey, since I live at the bottom of the hill, what if I divert storm water onto my property...can I get a credit to pay all of my water bill?? Hmmm.....
    merj
    PS--I've actually thought about diverting storm water onto my property, but with questionable/chemical applications uphill, I'm not sure I'd want "that stuff" in my 98% organic yard.

• Sherrie_Florida
    21 years ago

Amimas,

Unbelievable. Couldn't they think of another way to tax?
    Call us, we can give you very creative ideas.

I have heard it all after reading your news. If it is a
    federal mandate then why are we exempt. Or should I shut
    my mouth?

Maybe Federal doesn't apply to Florida since Jeb Bush is
    governor.