Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrie_florida

I know I shouldn't be here but

Sherrie_Florida
21 years ago

After three years of drought, we finally got rain.

And we get rain everyday. This is for over 50 days.

I know we needed rain, but STOP FL rain, go to Pennsylvania,

go to North or South Carolina, Go ANYWHERE for awhile

but here.

Yesterday it was only a sprinkle, today it is 1 or 2 inches.

There has to be a way to divert rain to the places that

need it. We can go to the moon, why can't we train the

clouds to drop rain where we want it? Moon seems harder

to me.

Comments (13)

• plantladyco
    21 years ago

I'll take some!!

• Sherrie_Florida
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Oh, oh PlantladyCO,

We are getting more rain today. Sunny now, but wait till
    afternoon and/or night.

We have so much rain that even though this is a sandbox,
    the water is not evaporating or sinking in the sand. It is
    on top of the sand.

The last person that complained about no rain was a
    customer of ours in SanAntonio, Tx. Two days later they
    got it and got it big time. City was closed down.

I hope you just get a NICE rain. I, too, like nice rain.

• stitches216
    21 years ago

Sherrie your point is exactly mine. I won't monopolize this forum with my advocacy for a national or continental aqueduct system. But that's where I am coming from, basically: we need one. We are fools not to have one, even with the threat posed by enemies who might poison one. They might not be such enemies if they saw what a good thing it could be for everyone.

But in any case, before we all get glazed eyes and sing We Are The World, we need to talk in this forum about measures that are immediately doable.

The hyper-rain/hyper-drought combination in relatively nearby places makes me wonder why the railroad people have not become more enterprising. They could ship trains of collector/tankers to park on the tracks in places where rain is falling by the foot. And then they could haul the water away to folks who would gladly pay for water at a very profitable price, I would think. But maybe that distribution network is lacking a regional partnership with tanker-truck people...entrepreneurs, start your engines! And hey lawyers, for once, be on the side of the thirsty and the enterprising!

• Sherrie_Florida
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Stiches,

Yes, today it is 1 1/2" of more rain. I hate this much rain!!

We can send people to the moon and back and can't think
    of a way to divert water to the proper place. Interesting.

I have been diverting thousands of gallons in the last
    50+ days by installing a sump pump and a little pipe to
    run 170 feet from my front yard to my backyard. This poor
    pump runs 7 hours a day just so we can get out of the
    driveway (in the front yard). The backyard is a lake anyway. I would really rather give it to people that need
    it and they would reciprocate when I needed it.

The country can import oil, gas from thousands of miles
    away. Why not more pipe and a BIG, GIGANTIC sump pump.

I'll tell you why. Every state wants the water to go back
    into the ground for later use. However, when your whole
    state is cemented for autos, it can't get there anyway.

This could become the YELLING forum.

• anita
    21 years ago

There was a time when there were big pumps in operation to lower the level of the Great Salt Lake during flooding. They pumped it out into the Utah Desert. I think the pumps are still there.

• stitches216
    21 years ago

Sherrie, LOL! (That was a yell!)

Florida definitely has a whammy against itself, with all the development plugging the "pores" that might allow some replenishment of ground water. If there were ways to just pump runoff into the sinkholes with some temporary hoses and pipes, that would be a step in the right direction.

I have relatives in Florida who told us - years ago, before the last time they had drought - that someone had estimated that Florida needed the equivalent rain output of NINE hurricanes to get the groundwater back to "normal." (I would not wish one hurricane on anyone. But it sounds like you've had even worse than that, just not as much wind and tide damage.)

Anyway, good luck with a drying-out soon Sherrie, and here is a safe bet: someday everyone will be paying lots more for water than for oil or gas, and we'll all be yelling alot more, pipes or no pipes.

• Barb9491
    21 years ago

A wise man has recently said "The next world war will be fought over water." Do you think he is wrong? What is the root of the war in the Mid-East and Slovakian/Bosnia areas? Water rights. Why are Iran, Irag, Pakistan and India always bickering - Water rights.

• Sherrie_Florida
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Wow write this down day. After over 50 days of rainWe had only a few drops of rain today. I hope it went to one of you with the drought.

Maybe if we get a few days of NO RAIN I will have to talk
    about a drought here in Florida. This is a big sandbox,
    but even the sandbox needs a few dry days.

I haven't really complained because there are so many
    really horrible floods, fires, terrorists, etc., etc., so
    I can live with my little inconvenience. It is nice to be
    able to complain, though.

• mikie_gw
    21 years ago

maybe some wise government agency will someday pass laws
    that if you're building or seriously remodeling a home that at minimum
    50% of the roof area will be guttered into a deep well-field to at least partially replenish groundwaters.

• Sherrie_Florida
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Mikie,

Is there such a thing as a wise government agency?
    You live in Florida. Don't you wonder why millions of
    gallons of water are wasted by golf courses? I hope no
    golfer reads this.

We have artesian
    wells pumping out millions of gallons a day and the government agency responsible for capping them still has not completed the job. Guess they can't find them.

• shakaho
    21 years ago

I'm not concerned about golf courses, but rather the hundreds of square miles of developments with streets and "zero tolerance lots" so that less than 10% of the ground is exposed to absorb the water. Our wonderful rainfall is all going into the storm sewers.

• frostfreetemperate
    21 years ago

I could gripe about that one too Sharon. Here in Southern California we have a drought every summer (and I mean drought-less than 1 inch from May 1st to October 31st). We only get 13-15 inches during the rainy-season (November-April) and most rain from the streets is diverted to storm drains and then to the ocean. Not only is this water wasted, but the pollution along the coast is horrible during the rainy-season because of the buildup of oil, pet feces, dead cats etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: My precipitation averages

• Sherrie_Florida
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Sharon,

You are right. All we have is cement, cement and more
    being added daily. Water doesn't have a chance to fill
    the aquifer. Not just the development, but the roads it
    takes to move everyone around. Well, yes that is because
    of the developers.