Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wild_garden

storing water

wild_garden
21 years ago

another forum got me to thinking about the need to store water, and the subject of this group is the reason for it! the drought here in virginia has been terrible. i know a lot of farmers have been getting water hauled in to irrigate with and i started wondering about that and so decided to call around and find out a few things, here's what i came up with.

the person i called about water delivery said that the truck would hold 2000 gallons and that it cost 30$us for local delivery for that amount. great deal! i could use 2000 gallons of water. next question is what to do with it when the truck gets there. i ran a few ideas through my head on water storage and think i have come up with a pretty cheap way to store it.

pretty much talking about a cistern, a cinder block square wall built above ground without mortar with earth piled against the outside of the wall for support and the water stored on the inside, built on the surface of the ground so that no excavation is needed except for the earth to pile up against the wall. blocks aren't mortared together to save effort, should be a quick and easy project with minimal work involved. having the water above ground level also insures the water will flow with gravity on level sites whereas if it is buried in the ground it might not.

did a little math, 2000 gallons is 7571 liters is 461993 cubic inches is 268 cubic feet of water, approximately. figuring you would want to put a cover on the water to keep leaves out and a simple cover would be two pieces of plywood the dimensions of the water storage area are 7.5 feet wide, 7.5 feet long, and 5 feet deep which comes out to 281 cubic feet which is more than we need by about 10 or 15 cubic feet. that's a lot of water! wouldn't you love to have that much water storage, i sure would.

walls 7.5 feet (98 inches) long with overlap on the ends stacked 5 feet high requires 208 cinder blocks that are 8x8x16 inches, that's about 200$us for the blocks. of course this isn't going to hold water so you have to put a pond liner (available from any pond/water garden shop) into the storage area to hold water. if the distance across is 7.5 and the depth is 5 feet, that's 17.5 feet of liner round that up to 20 feet so you have a foot or so of overlap on the top edges. that means we need 20x20 foot liner which at my water garden store runs about 0.59$us per square foot or 236$us for the liner, let's say 240$us rounding up. figure 2 pieces of 4x8 foot plywood at 15$us/each to use as a cover (they would overlap about 6 inches on each end) and 20$us for some sand to cover the bottom so nothing will poke through the liner, and that comes out to a total of,

blocks, 200$us

plywood, 30$us

liner 240$us

and sand maybe 20$us

for a total cost of 490$us or let's say 500$us for fun.

so that's my thought, for about 500$us could build a storage container for a water truck load of water, about 2000 gallons, for use in irrigation. each delivery would cost you about 30$us, don't need a buffer in the amount of water storage capacity for the simple reason that here you can get water delivered the same day you order it. plumbing for hoses and things would obviously be extra. if you can't afford 500$us you can cut out 200$us of that by not using cinder blocks and doing excavation instead so that you start with a big hole in the ground that measures 7.5 feet across and 5 feet deep, is square, and make sure there aren't any sharp rocks when you put your liner in, cover it again with plywood.

was just my drought thought for the day!

Comments (11)

• aussiebuffer
    21 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Gi'day from Australia Wild Garden !
    Well, you certainly have done your maths !!!
    However you might like to check out the pre-made water tank options before you attempt to build your own. The engineering complications of what you propose can be enormous due to the stresses that amount of weight and mass can produce. You can see some of our 5 tanks( 1x 10,000 gal,2 x 5000 gal,1x4000 gal and 1 x3000 gal= 27,000 gallons)at www.ozbushandbeach.com under "photos of the bush property" to give you an idea of the kind of water storage we require in the aussie bush !! We also have a large lake which is not very large at the moment for irragation. What part of Virginia are you in ?? I went to collage in Blacksburg many years ago.Paul

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    21 years ago

Hi wild_ garden! That's a wild idea. I know what you mean about Va being bone dry, seems all the rain misses me here in the middle but the southside gets the storms of late. I've been grinding my head gears too about the better ways to store water. Just bought a country home that has about 10 downspouts on it and am considering digging a below ground cistern and leading all the runoff into it. Be a lot of work laying the underground lines but they could be connected together by one larger pipe leading to the cistern. Would need to incorporate a pump since gravity is of no help as it would be with your above ground system. Also, when it's this dry there's no rain to refill it so it'd have to be extra large to catch the winter rains for later use. Ahhh, so many ideas, so little time. But it's either this or shell out $5K for an artesian well dig :o(. Good luck with you dream, vgkg

• lazy_gardens
    21 years ago

You will have to reinforce the walls of the cistern, perhaps by a bolted-on frame of 2x4s, or have a LOT of dirt piled into a sloping walls oif the cistern, Water is HEAVY, and the outward pressure at the base will be considerable.

What would 4 500-gallon stock tanks cost?

• Frieda__IL
    21 years ago

Or, one of the 3 foot swimming pools that sell for a little under $200. You can cover it to keep evaporation under control. I think one of the 3 ft.x 12 ft. holds about 8,000 gallons to keep stability for swimming, probably more for water storage.

• Bob_NJ
    21 years ago

You can get water storage tanks of polyethlene from any farm supply, a 1500 gallon tank is roughly 7 feet around and 5 feet tall, last time I looked they sold for around $600...Bob.

• wild_garden
    Original Author
    21 years ago

aussiebuffer// i'm out in the shenandoah valley i know where blacksburg is and have visited there many times! nice area, very pretty country.

lazygardens// the 4x 500 gallon tanks would cost 4x 528$us from http://www.tank-depot.com/, i'm sure they could be found cheaper. total though that's about 2k$us.

vgkg// check out getting a single solar panel to run your pump! when the sun is shining your pumping water for "free" (nevermind the 500$us cost for a 100 watt solar panel lol).

on the comments about the above ground liner based storage tank needing a lot of dirt to hold the water, well, yeah, that's what i said too lol. sure you could use wood to reinforce it, or rocks, or mortar a few courses together or all kinds of things. i thought that was the cheapest and easiest solution until ...

frieda has the cheapest solution so far i think, if you can purchase a pool that is 3 feet deep by 12 feet across (6 foot radius) then that'll hold 339 cubic feet of water or about 2500 gallons for 200$us. where do you get a pool that big for 200$us frieda ? i mean 3 feet deep and 12 feet across that isn't one of those plastic kiddie pools lol.

• lindag
    21 years ago

You can buy the above ground pools from Sears, and Wall Mart different sizes $5oo. and lower they come with a small filter. The filter recirculates the water in normall use. Instead of recirculating the water back to the pool use the filter and some conncted hoses to pump the water were you want it, or use some kind of siphioning hoses. When it does rain refill the pool with the rain from rain gutters.
    Lindag

• cherylm
    21 years ago

whatever did happen to cisterns, anyway? when i suggested this to my husband, i got the old eye-roll. why not run your rain gutters to a cistern under the deck- so many new and old houses have decks now, and there's nothing under there but the neighborhood skunks and groundhogs!

• huffy1
    21 years ago

Cherylm, I certainly hope that blankity groundhog hasn't found my deck. It surely can't cause it can't even find my trap. A cristern under the deck would be a great idea if it doesn't create problems with the deck supports. From the experiance of digging a basement out from under my house I don't think I'll be putting in a cristern under any deck. Digging under any thing lower than standing height is not fun work.

• mmmills
    20 years ago

Here is a price for a kiddie swiming pool
    http://www.patiostore.com/Poolstore/sunpool.html
    Size: 9.83' x 6.56' x 2.46'
    Holds 1189 gallons
    Steel Frame
    Equipped with Drain
    See feature section above
    Reg $359, on sale $249
    The Summer Sun 300 is huge, almost 9.83' x 6.565' x 2.46' deep. Standard with an extra heavy, nylon re-enforced vinyl liner and powder coated steel support frame. For the small yard or when a full size pool won't do, the 300 is the answer. The Summer Sun 300 is much larger and deeper than typical blow-up pools. A longer lasting and hassle free alternative to the small metal wall pools.

• hal_dave_gmail_com
    13 years ago

It is possible to put together a concrete block cistern and seal it with cement, or if you are in an area where the weather is very warm and very dry, BlueMax sealer will work. We tried the bluemax but it did not work because of high humidity, and low temps. Fill the blocks with cement and cover the inside with at least 6 coats of Portland cement. Once the cement has set, it just gets harder under water. There is a cement that is ok for potable water, it is listed at the website I have linked to here in this post. All the info is in the link. Be aware that lots of portable swimming pools have sterilization chemicals embedded in the plastic, which make the water non-potable. Also, be aware that water is very, very heavy. The concrete block cistern we built holds about 2500 gallons of water, which weighs close to 10 tons (20,000) pounds (that's not including the bricks or concrete!)

Here is a link that might be useful: concrete block cistern

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor