Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicki7_gw

How much longer??

vicki7
21 years ago

I have checked weather.com and read every article I have seen concerning the drought, trying to find out when the weather "experts" think this drought will end. I haven't found any info about it at all. Does ANYONE have any information on this? It sure would be nice to know that maybe the end was in sight.

Comments (10)

• Sherrie_Florida
    21 years ago

Drought? What drought. We have had over 50 days of
    heavy rains. This is after a three year drought. We
    begged for rain and man we got it.

How much can I send you? The last person that asked for
    rain was in San Antonio TX. Ask him what happened.

I have installed 160 feet of pipe and a pump to pump
    the water to the back yard which is a lake. The lake, too
    is coming near the house. One year ago, the lake was gone.

• wild_garden
    21 years ago

i don't know vicki7 but i wish it wouldn't be much longer. i guess only the power that makes things work can change it.

• terramadre
    21 years ago

Have a look at the Drought Monitor; click on Forecasts (but all the info is very interesting).

• jenny_in_se_pa
    21 years ago

The NWS has indicated that a young "El Nino" has formed in the Pacific. Supposedly, this means higher than normal rains along the Pacific coast (floods) and in the Southwest and deep south (which is already happening). Everything else about the effects seems jumbled and vague - more along the lines of what we are experiencing now.

There is a rather detailed weather prediction model for the rest of this year and into next here. This seems to suggest a break in the drought during winter or early spring in those localized areas of the mid-south and midatlantic. Meanwhile looks like California, Florida and South Texas are predicted to disappear into the ocean and/or the gulf by then due to above normal precipitation...yikes! ;-)

• Frieda__IL
    21 years ago

It's been a dry year for us. Below average snowfall during winter, no spring rains, and a hot and dry summer. Hoping for a better year next year.

• flowergirl_VA
    21 years ago

Wow! According to the drought monitor, I'm right smack in the middle of an "exceptional drought." Guess it's not just my imagination, huh? :-(

• Eduarda
    21 years ago

Of course, while we are here in the drought forum, most of Central Europe is under the worst floods on record. The historical centre of Prague (one of the most beautiful places where I´ve been) has been under water for several days, lots of houses colapsed when the waters receded due to corrosion of the structure. Now it seems to be the turn of Budapest, another of my favorite cities. And Dresden in Germany didn´t see such a wreck since the bombings in WWII.

All this should make us well aware of all the foolish things we have been doing to our planet.

Eduarda

• Sherrie_Florida
    21 years ago

Well said Eduarda. I couldn't have said it better.

• woodyswife
    21 years ago

Only God knows. I know that we were already several inches behind at the end of last summer and was followed by a winter with very little precipitation. When I checked the drought moniter last month our area was not even recognized as being in drought. I see that now we are listed as just being on the verge of drought--apparently they did not track our area two months ago when our yards were already brown--now the farmers in our area have fields of crops that are complete losses. Oh well, we'll keep our chin up and hope for better conditions soon.

• rico_md
    21 years ago

Well, for what it's worth, the latest medium range forecast indicates some drought relief beginning Saturday for areas east of the Appalachians. This is the first significant pattern change in two months. The upper atmospheric flow will be from the south instead of the west for next week according to the models. Unfortunately it's too late for the summer crops in this area. Hopefully, this is signals a beginning of a wet period that will last thru the winter.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus