Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well Water

Posted by aowens USA Zone 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 10:56

I have plenty of well water at this time but it is heavy with iron, and that is stopping up my seaping soaker hose.

Any clue on what or how to disolve the iron that has accumulated in these hose?

Coke seems to work but that is a long and hard process, costly too.

Would most of the iron settle out if I let the water sit in a large tank over night then pulled out from the top to the garden in 24 - 48 hours ?
Thanks much
Alton

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well Water

We had problems with calcium clogging soaker hoses and even some types of drip emitters. Then DH found emitters that were better quality and cleanable. No more problems with clogs as long as he checks and cleans (they come apart and clean easily) them now and then.

The calcium never did settle out well enough ... not sure about iron.

Fireraven9
The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town. - Emily Dickinson

o

You need some sort of acidic solution. Not sure if acetic acid (vinegar) is strong enough but you could try it (use straight). In the lab, we used either hydrochloric or sulfuric acids to dissolve it.

o

Or you could make your own soaker hoses from old inexpensive garden hoses. Make ice pick sized holes by drilling or using a heated ice pick....tie strips of stretchy fabric around the hose to cover the holes. Cap off the end of the hose....the water will drip, and you can use a pair of pliars to break up and flush out mineral clogged holes. If the fabric is offensive to look at...toss some mulch over it.

o

• Posted by Corrie 2b MB Canada (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 03 at 2:22

Wow Millie, that is really a terrific idea! I've heard of using regular hose and poking holes to make it a sprinkler hose, but wrapping it in fabric - that's pure genius! Thanks! corrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here