Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry slope - need advice

Posted by auburn-nh (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 08 at 12:43

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I am hoping to hear from people who have planted white clover as a ground cover on slopes.

This slope I have is steep and can't be mowed.

It receives sun from late morning until mid afternoon, about 7 hours. It's got a mix of young and adult oak and pine trees, about two dozen trees, I'd say.

Can't build terraces because of the massive root systems those trees have and there are a lot of large rocks also.

Melting snow and spring showers help keep the slope moist through early June. After that, it stays on the dry side. Regular watering is not an option, I'm afraid.

In the past six years I've tried sedum, mint, thyme, ajuga, goldenrod, phlox, and other similar species. Of these plants, only the ones that grow towards the foot of the slope have managed to survive (though they haven't spread much at all).

Unfortunately, this slope is a very prominent (along our driveway) eyesore.

So, my question is: Will white clover grow in these conditions?

If so, when should I seed and how much seed should I use per sq ft?

Also, will I need to add anything to the soil, considering the established oak and pine trees?

Many thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry slope - need advice

I can't tell where you're from, but on the plains I'd recommend for you to try native plants....buffalo or bluegramma grass, or other native grasses. you probably have similar things in whatever area you are. My experience with clover is that it needs regular water to look decent.

o

The reason for the little success you've had is because what water the slope gets accumulates at the base, gravity at work. So, make several bases at intervals on the slope, i.e. terracing. This should increase your success rate.

o

I live in southern Ontario, not exactly a drought-prone area, except in mid-summer. I found that planting on a slope is not impossible, but it is difficult to get plants established and growing. Any water one puts on them as young plants tends to immediately run off down the hill. However once they are established for a couple of years, they do fine without supplemental water. You may have better success starting a new planting in the fall, so the plants can get rooted well before the summer heat starts. Native plants are a good idea, either perennials or grasses or a combination of both.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here