Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gray water and trees

Posted by ladyharley New Mexico (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 07 at 18:02

I have used bath water on my Ash and Mulberry trees. The result is the leaves dry out and the edges turn brown. This also happens to the trees with I use washing machine water. I thought all the above were good for trees. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Thanks..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gray water and trees

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 24, 07 at 14:37

Depends upon the soaps used and how much is in the water.

For instance, for washing machine water, you can use the rinse water rather than the wash water.

Further, such use must be legal in your community. If so, a local agency very likely has considerable information for you.

Probably your city has a special phone number or agency to contact. If not, it's most likely the Water Department/supplier.

Hmmm, a brief search using the phrase "gray water New Mexico" turned up various links with information.

Here's a link to "Safe Use of Household Greywater" from the New Mexico State University.

http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_m/m-106.html

For additional links, you might also search with the alternate spelling of "grey" and you even might try linking the "grey" and "water" as one word.

Here is a link that might be useful: using greywater

o
RE: gray water and trees

Due to our severe drought here in GA and no outside watering, we've been collecting *non-soapy* water that we use like when waiting for our water to heat up in the sink or shower.

I am not positive, but I think the soap can change the chemical composition of the soil, which may result in problems?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here