Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaalan

Approaching record status

GAAlan
21 years ago

There was an article in yesterday's paper about the drought here in Atlanta and the numbers over the four year span(beginning of 99 through end of 02).

It stated, "...since the beginning of 1999, Atlanta has recorded only 137.70" of rain...and that the normal total for a four year period is slightly more than 200..." "The four year record low is 157.39" from 1893 through 1896" "If the area does not average 5" per month from now till December we will set the record...these last four years could turn out to be the driest since record keeping began.."

The chance of our avoiding the record is not likely considering October is typically the driest month of the year. In fact last October was the driest in 107 years! From my own personal records, I have noted that my area of town has had only 1/8" of rain since August 16 and none since August 26. We are on an odd/even, no watering from 10am through 10pm even on your day, water restriction. Some cities are on a total outside ban.

Also from the article, "August was extraordinarily dry for both Atlanta and Athens. Atlanta got only .77" while Athens had only .14"... earlier this week Athens/Clarke county restricted outdoor watering to one day a week...."

All long term predictions say no end anytime soon!

Comments (12)

Sponsored